Sam Smith And I Look At The Draft

              (My comments appear in parentheses.)

              Column
              Martin's injury adds intrigue to NBA draft

              By Sam Smith
              Tribune Pro Basketball Writer
              March 12, 2000

              The season-ending injury to Cincinnati's
              Kenyon Martin not only has confused the
              NCAA tournament field, it has confused the
              NBA.

              "I'm not sure I'd want to make that decision
              now," one NBA personnel director said when
              asked about the No. 1 pick in June's college
              draft. That's because Martin, a long-armed
              6-foot-8-inch forward, had emerged as the
              consensus No. 1 pick among the pro scouts,
              especially after a superb performance in
              leading Cincinnati back from a huge deficit
              against DePaul.

              (There's something about the Cincinnati program
               that reeks of the hopelessness of Big Time College
               Basketball. Maybe it's their non-existent
               graduation rate or the the evil Pitino: Bob
               Huggins.)

              But Martin's devastating injury he broke his leg
              and tore ankle ligaments raises questions and
              concerns. Hall of Famer Bob Lanier suffered a
              major knee injury at the end of his collegiate
              career and still was the No. 1 pick in the draft.
              But Lanier didn't rely on quick jumping and
              athletic ability, as Martin does. One NBA
              general manager said Martin had the potential
              to lead the league in blocked shots next season.

              (I can't believe he would beat out Mutumbo
               or Shaq, and I just have negative vibes
               about Martin. Call me out to lunch and
               early for supper, but I think the McHale-ish
               Troy Murphy will be the better all-around
                player in the pros.)

              Also, Martin might not be available, or might
              be limited, for personal workouts before the
              draft. And it's hard to sell season tickets when
              your No. 1 draft pick comes up to shake hands
              and accept his obligatory team baseball cap
              from NBA Commissioner David Stern while in
              a wheelchair or on crutches.

              (Never fear the Clippers will be here to take him.)

              Still the NCAA tournament goes on, and the
              NBA executives are lining up their June draft.
              Here's a pretournament look, based on
              interviews with a half-dozen NBA executives,
              at a possible first round:

              1. Kenyon Martin, Cincinnati, Sr., 6-8, 230.
              Have to go with the talent assuming team
              doctors give him the OK, although some say
              his rehabilitation could take a year.

              (I think he's very overrated, but what do I know.)

              2. Chris Mihm, Texas, Jr., 7-0, 245: Might
              move up to No. 1, especially if Bulls get the
              pick; they already have Elton Brand. Versatile
              center reminds some of a bigger Alvan Adams
              or Vlade Divac.

              (Definitely like Vlade - Alvin Adams was a
               pretty good player too.)

              3. Loren Woods, Arizona, Jr., 7-1, 225. A little
              on the skinny side for post play, but has long
              arms and legs and is a good shot-blocker.

              (Reminds me of Caldwell Jones, but when players
               start having back problems even before they meet
               the rough and tumble world of the NBA, you have
               to raise a Rock-like eyebrow. He could drift,
               and yes, I'd take a shot at him if he was
               there when the C's picked.)

              4. Darius Miles, East St. Louis High School,
              6-9, 190. Considered a big Scottie Pippen. A
              great athlete who can take the ball at one end
              and finish at the other.

              (Definitely someone the C's could select.
               Scottie Pippen comparisons must intrigue Pitino,
               although I hear he's into Magic Johnson these
               days.)

              5. Stromile Swift, LSU, Soph., 6-9, 235. Good
              long-armed athlete who can block shots. Could
              be like 76ers' Theo Ratliff.

              (I raved about Swifty four months ago. Reminds me
               of Antonio McDyess.)

              6. Courtney Alexander, Fresno State, Sr., 6-5,
              200. The next Isaiah Rider? He's had some
              personal problems, but is an explosive,
              big-time scorer.

              (The next Isiah Rider: A very comforting
               thought for his future employer. I hate
               all Fresno State players except for Chris
               Herren.)

              7. Marcus Fizer, Iowa State, Jr., 6-8, 240. Size
              could be a problem, but a proven scorer.

              (For some reason I'm thinking Armon Gilliam.)

              8. DerMarr Johnson, Cincinnati, Fr., 6-9, 200.
              A little on the thin side, but could become a
              great shooter. Some compare him to Glen
              Rice.

              (He would have been a first round pick out of
               one of the myriad number of prep schools he
               attended.)

              9. Michael Miller, Florida, Soph., 6-8, 210. An
              excellent shooter with good size who can make
              plays.

              (He's been compared to Bird.)

              10. Joel Przybilla, Minnesota, Soph.,7-0, 250.
              Left school after a dispute with his coach over
              attending classes. Scouts like him better than
              fellow big men Jason Collier, Brendan
              Haywood and Eric Chenowith because he's a
              better shot-blocker and a good passer.

              (This is a guy the C's should move up in the
               draft to select.  He's the Anti-Vitaly.
               Best big man to come out of Minnesota since
               McHale.)

              11. Eddie Griffin, Philadelphia Roman Catholic
              High School, 6-9, 200. A great athlete.

              (No he's not related to Adrian.)

              12. Morris Peterson, Michigan State, Sr., 6-6,
              210. Able to play small forward or big guard
              and coming off a big year.

              13. Terence Morris, Maryland, Jr., 6-8, 195.
              Sometimes indifferent and likened to Derrick
              McKey. A good athlete with skills.

              (Robert Horry-like.)

              14. Etan Thomas, Syracuse, Sr., 6-9, 255. Not
              a scorer like Fizer, but a better rebounder and
              a terrific shot-blocker.

              (Beware of Syracuse players - Lots of talented,
               underachieving head cases. But it would not shock
               me to see the C's take him.)

              15. Troy Murphy, Notre Dame, Soph., 6-10,
              230. A good scorer and rebounder who could
              play some small forward.

              (Bound for glory. An absolute steal if he's 15.)

              16. Carlos Boozer, Duke, Fr.,6-9, 260. Not a
              Brand name, but the kind of big body the pros
              like. Not as good as Elton Brand, but
              improving.

              (For every Elton Brand that Duke produces,
               there's a Trajan Langdon, and Boozy is more the
               latter.)

              17. Gerald Wallace, Childersburg (Ala.) High
              School, 6-7, 205. Most athletic of the high
              school prospects, but a little high-strung.

              18. Quentin Richardson, DePaul, Soph., 6-5,
              215. Has size and range, but must learn to
              create his own shot.

              (I really enjoyed Q when he was on Star Trek.
               He really taught Picard and the other TNGers
               a lesson, when he introduced their haughty
               Federation asses to the Borg. They were really
               taken with themselves until they met that
               Borg cube.

               Q has two great NBA skills: He can rebound and score.
               Thus he shall become a very good player. A Shooting
               Touch however, has yet to be assimilated.)

              19. Shane Battier, Duke, Jr., 6-8, 220. Great
              defender and tough player.

              (He's more in the Grant Hill than Trajan Langdon
               mode, but still a bit of a finesse/perimeter player.)

              20. Hanno Mottola, Utah, Sr., 6-9, 240.
              All-around skills and a mature person, but he
              has started to break down physically.

              (He's the Tom Green of the draft. You ahve to watch him
               a few times to get his genius.)

              21. Keyon Dooling, Missouri, Soph., 6-3, 180.
              Pros like him better than the big-name point
              guards (Khalid El-Amin, Scoonie Penn,
              Mateen Cleeves), who are too small.

              (When you coming home, Kenyon Dooley...)

              22. Desmond Mason, Oklahoma State, Sr.,
              6-8, 205. Not great shooter, but has decent
              range and is a good athlete.

              23. Erick Barkley, St. John's, Soph., 6-1, 185.
              A scoring point guard who can shoot. He's in
              the mold of B.J. Armstrong.

              (Erick Iran Barkley packs quite a jump shot and a punch.
               A shoot first/pass second NY point guard. One of them
               is enough for me.)

              24. Jabari Smith, LSU, Sr., 6-11, 250. Not a
              great athlete, but a good shot-blocker and
              rebounder with a good feel for the game.

              (I mentioned him last year. Probably good solid backup.)

              25. Jamaal Magloire, Kentucky, Sr., 6-9, 260.
              Not big enough to be a true center, but an
              excellent shot-blocker with a mean streak.

              (Could be a bad tweener.)

              26. Steven Hunter, DePaul, Fr., 7-0, 210. A
              project, but one team executive says in 10
              years he'll be the best-known player off this
              DePaul team.

              (Steak tartar raw.)

              27. Casey Jacobsen, Stanford, Fr., 6-8, 195. A
              scorer. Best player on veteran team.

              28. A.J. Guyton, Indiana, Sr., 6-1, 175.
              Excellent shooter who must be able to play
              point guard.

              (Beware of Bobby's kids and I'm not talking about
               the Kennedy's or Shriver's.)

              29. Chris Porter, Auburn, Sr., 6-7, 220. Great
              athlete, but between positions for the pros.

              (Give him a few years and he'll be fine and can pay back
               his agent.)
               Ray