Re: Things seem a little tense around here.

David A Wickerham wrote:

> Pierce for Shareef
>
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 damekmo@teleport.com wrote:
>
> > Things seem a little tense around here these days. Before we drive anybody
> > else off-list, and in the interest of "list love," let's all take a big
> > deep breath and then try to figure out who the Celtics can get for Pierce,
> > another player like Pots or Anderson, and the number one. I'd love to send
> > off one of the bench stiffs with Pierce, but that would only drive down his
> > value. How about Grant Hill? Do you at least call and make the offer? Tracy
> > McGrady for Pierce anyone? See...I know I feel a lot better.
> >

> > Paul M.

On the one hand, I can't possibly imagine Vancouver getting a better offer than
Pierce for Shareef in terms of one-for-one frontline talent (most GM's would
normally pick Pierce over Van Horn, even though Van Horn is perhaps just slightly
more marketable to fans). I dunno.

But I've come to realize that Pierce for Shareef won't work cap wise, even we can
dump Anderson and William's contracts for second round draft picks. Aren't we 11
million over the cap?

Not to beat a dead horse, but I knew Eric Williams' 6 million per year longterm
contract would be the real albatross of the Mercer trade. Pitino should have
known the same thing about Kenny Anderson's contract.

I think we are pretty much stuck with what we have. Thank goodness we have
several lottery picks on the near-term horizon. It is our only exit from this
morass.

BTW, some of you all are very lucky to have a chance to go watch in person the
McDonald's HS All American Game this month (March 29) in Boston.

All the members of the East and West team constitute a pretty terrific force, and
they also makes up the core of what has been called the greatest Junior National
Select USA Basketball team in history. It seems particularly deep at power
forward.

According to Brick Oettinger's Prep Stars Recruiter’s Handbook,  small forward
prospect Gerald Wallace "has the best combination of athletic ability, basketball
skills and intangibles (meaning everything else relevant to his play and
recruitability) of any high school wing forward prospect we’ve ever seen." He
signed with Alabama but could conceivably declare for the NBA draft.

Two Massachusetts-based players made the Y2K McDonald's team, both of whom are
included among most lists of the top 35 High School prospects in the country.
They are the 7-6 Neil Fingleton from Holy Name Catholic (bound for UNC) and the
6-8 Scott Hazleton from Central Catholic (bound for UConn).

Incidentally, next year's graduating HS class (2001) features not only the most
hyped scoring combo guard phenom in two decades (Dajuan Wagner) but also the
first great center class in at least a decade probably led by Eddy Curry,
arguably the best rebounder in high school and at 6-11 and 290 pounds, described
athletically as the "next Shaquille O'Neil".

I would plead patience on activating the Denver lottery pick. It could prove to
be a lot more valuable than Ron Mercer (or Danny Fortson).

****