Re: Blaming the Coach

How do we know that Pitino is a lousy coach? His public performances? Most
coaching goes on out of the eye of the public. Our only public evaluation
comes from watching him at games making decisions and the performance of
the players. Maybe he's just as frustrated as we are. He obviously has an
owner who is not willing to spend whatever it takes to win. He wants to
stay within a budget. The last time I checked, only those professional
teams that spend money win especially in baseball and basketball with large
guaranteed contracts. Football is different because of non-guaranteed
contracts, but it is still the team that spends the most and gets the most
for their money that wins.

I think the Celtics suffer from a combination of the following:

1. An owner who is reasonable and will not break the bank to win. His Dad
didn't have to go broke to win and he probably feels he shouldn't have to
either. If you recall during the lockout, Gaston stood alone as an owner on
many issues..he has his own view of the world.

2. Young players. Beat the horse, beat the horse....but it's true. What
would Antoine's role be on say, the Indiana Pacers? He would be a
workhorse, sometimes go-to guy who scores 20 points a night, but wouldn't
have to to make his team win.

3. High expectations of the fans, the city, the state, New England, the
coach, everyone.

4. Bad luck. No Duncan. Dead Reggie and Bias. No breaks on trades,
one-sided deals. The only luck they've had is luring Pitino out of
Kentucky. WHAT IF the Celtics had a new coach in each of the last three
years? Entirely possible and worse than what's going on right now.

Ok, I admit it. I am upset about this season. Last night was a dagger in
the heart. But I don't think that blowing up the team is the answer. Moves,
yes. Blowing it up? What would that accomplish, really? Much like the Red
Sox have a long-term plan that is just now coming into fruition (hey,
everyone HATED Dan Duquette in this town two years ago), the Celtics must
be patient. Without an owner willing to go crazy with money and with
restrictions on salary-cap and player movement, you basically have to play
the hand that's dealt. Pick up a few more cards to improve your hand, but
folding and starting over is not the answer.

If it's too ugly to watch, then don't, but don't join the bandwagon of the
"fellowship of the miserable." Remember, we are the true fans. If I see you
jumping off and then rejoining the wagon when the ride is less bumpy, I
just might have to kick your arses off.

Irish, feisty and bleeding green.

Theresa

 Maybe he can get it done, and if he does, I'll applaud him, but he's still
thinking like a college coach.