Re: Veterans

> Reading Pete May's column today about Pitino's sudden brainstorm that he
> needs some veteran toughness, it's like, "Geez, Rick. And what do you
> think about that new-fangled invention, the automobile?"

[cut]

> I couldn't believe he was willing to trade Fortson for two more young
> kids. And hell, the few veterans he does have, like Pervis and the late
> Marty Conlon, he doesn't even play. I mean, how long have I been talking
> about people like Rick Mahorn and Mark Bryant??

Hi Peter,

I think that having bad veteran talent, which Mahorn, Bryant, Pervis, and
Conlon all are, isn't any improvement. The teams he talked about - Toronto
and Philly - both added quality veteran talent, which has made the
difference.

By the way, Pitino did finally admit that he regretted letting Wesley
go, although he spouted some BS about the budget. Really though, it
was a result of the mistake he made with Billups. You would have had
four expensive point guards on the roster, which didn't make sense.

Speaking of veteran talent and looking at what we got from the #3 and
#6 picks, I wonder if anyone else has changed their mind regarding
the Scottie Pippen trade that almost happened (which would not have
involved Walker) when Pitino first arrived. The deal was basically
the #3 and #6, plus another draft pick I think (not 98 though, that
wouldn't have been legal I think) and a player that wasn't Walker,
for Pippen and Longley. Longley's not very productive but he fills
that hole on your roster. Pippen, as I've written before, was a
perfect fit as a defender, playmaker and veteran. Now Billups
wouldn't have been drafted so the Celtics might have kept Wesley.
Another what-if scenario...

Alex