Re: The Veteran

>So to mollify Pitino's ego, we as fans should let him dump one of his two
>stars this summer in order that he can deliver a 43-win season
>(questionable) for us on his way out of town. He'll leave town and we'll
>be stuck with big contracts on Kenny, Eric Williams and some other
>30-something veteran. Out of masochism, we can watch Pierce or Walker (and
>no doubt the 24-year-old Potapenko and Fortson) develop elsewhere while we
>figure out how we let Pitino con us into this mess.
>
>Joe

Joe, I agree. But I don't think there's any conning going on. The sad and
miserable truth is that Ricky's in charge, Ricky's staying, and he's not
coming back next year with the same lineup. I have no faith in his ability
as a gm, as an evaluator of talent, as a developer of talent, as a game
coach. A very good argument can be made for his total incompetence at the
NBA level. Everything he touches turns to lead and unfortunately, his
fingerprints are everywhere in that organization. When I read, in BSG's
column, the salaries of those stiffs sitting on the bench,....you just want
to cry. Pitino's an idiot. So I don't think there's any conning here. The
press knows it, we all know it, it's a known fact - like water freezing at
32 degrees farenheit and the sun rising in the east - Pitino's a miserable
failure. But, what are we going to do? Alex has faced up to it with his
earlier trade Pierce scenario. What the hell. Maybe you can get a few
players even Pitino will have a hard time totally screwing up. I'll be
honest, while I think Olowakandi and Anderson would be nice additions, I
really think you could get Odom for Pierce. Lamar is the sort of can't miss
player that Pitino needs to succeed in spite of himself. Maybe you trade
for Odom and then sign D. Anderson, as Peter May thinks will be possible,
with one of the exceptions. In any case, I'd feel a whole lot better if
Pitino started the ball rolling this summer by acquiring Lamar Odom instead
of another big stiff, which in case anyone hasn't noticed, Ricky has a
tendency to do. And I don't think it's totally out of the question. Lamar
has already made "I'm not re-signing," noises. Let him make them in Boston.
But Pierce is the trade bait who can get you real talent. Pitino couldn't
possibly screw this one up. God only knows what he'd come home with after a
Walker, Kenny or VP trade. I believe Pitino's going to get his veteran with
one or any combination of those three. I hope to be pleasantly surprised
when that trade is announced, but I'm not holding my breath.

Paul M.