The Veteran

If prior rumors have any truth to them, I would guess that Walker for
Dale Davis is the most likely scenario. Let's assume that Indiana
doesn't win the championship this year - otherwise everyone probably
comes back for one more year. So they'll be looking to go in a younger
direction, with the contracts of Miller, Jackson, Smits, Rose,
and Perkins expiring. Davis, who turns 31 later this month, doesn't
fit into a rebuilding plan. Indiana has had interest in Walker in the
past and he fits in with their young players perfectly. Davis gives
the Celtics exactly what Pitino wants, an athletic 4/5 who plays tough
defense, blocks shots, and rebounds, and is at the peak of his career.

Let's take it further. The Pacers will have a hole at center after
dealing Davis and Smits while we'll have no scoring. So we include
Potapenko while they add a sign-and-trade of Jalen Rose. Is this
even a legal trade? I don't think I've ever heard of a sign-and-trade
player being dealt with another player. Actually maybe there was a
minor one in one of the big Houston deals this summer. Anyway, that
looks fairer to me than Davis for Walker straight up.

Alex