Jersey Red Jersey Red Says Moiso

It's Bagaric with a c....

Questions abound as draft draws near

Ken Ford, The Herald News Staff June 28, 2000

Ken Ford

I had this NBA draft column finished last Thursday or so I thought, but
here it is in the wee hours of the morning on Monday and I am rewriting
the whole thing -- literally -- because I hand-write my column and then
some poor soul has to edit it.
Well, they ought to have a ball with this one. Some of the names call
for a U.N. representative to decipher.

What does it say about the draft when on Friday morning three- quarters
of the teams flew to Chicago, grabbed a cab and headed for the Moody
Bible Institute to watch a kid from Croatia work out. Gimme a break! His
name? Dalitor Bagarid, and he’s 7-foot-1.

Chicago and its cunning boss, Jerry Krause, thought it had a big-time
secret and was going to draft him at No. 24. Now that the secret is out,
the Bulls may have to snare him at No. 7, which has turned this already
confusing draft topsy turvy.

The first three picks are changing every day and four guys are involved.
The Nets, holding the No. 1 selection, have put things on tilt because
they are still undecided on whether to take Kenyon Martin or Stromile
Swift.

Vancouver, at No. 2, has told Swift it wants him, and both teams know
that the best player just could ultimately be Darius Miles, with
Courtney Alexander not far behind. Confused? So are the teams.

Now, factor in that Chicago and Orlando control five of 13 picks and
probably will make multiple trades and this thing has turned out to be a
grown-up version of that kid’s game, "Chutes and Ladders."

As for the Celtics, option No. 1 is to trade the pick for Portland’s
Jermaine O’Neal, and if that doesn’t work, look for Pitino to go for a
schoolboy or an early college- exit player, something he once said he
would never do but now openly admits that he wished he had done sooner.

Cincinnati’s Martin, who broke his foot late in the college season, will
go first or second. The problem is not only the foot, but the tummy.
Kenyon, who played at 230 pounds, is according to my sources about 290
pounds, which, if true, is a disgrace.

As late as last week, Swift, the phenom from LSU who did not get an
agent, considered withdrawing his name until Vancouver assured him it
would draft him at No. 2, and that’s what I see happening.

zThe problem for the Nets is do they take the out-of-shape Martin,
Swift, or the best player in Miles? Or do they cut a deal with Orlando
or Chicago? Remember, I just wrote that Vancouver will take Swift; well,
Regis just asked me for my final answer and after calling a friend I’ve
changed my mind.

So, here’s the NBA Draft 2000 as I see it through blurry eyes. Last year
I did remarkably well, but picking this thing this year I’m not so sure,
if only because as of this writing teams are changing their minds with
every tick of the clock.

I can tell you this: the majority of the players I name will be on the
board very close to where I’ve put them in this thing. It is not what I
consider to be a great draft; to the contrary, it’s one of the worst in
recent years. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

The only thing that could make it intriguing is trades, and usually the
GMs are afraid to pull the trigger.

But before we get to my team-by- team draft analysis, let’s take a last
look at the scenario for the Celtics. As I said, they will try to make a
trade for Germain O’Neal. After that, it is most likely going to be one
of the following: Omar Johnson (if he’s on the board), Deslouen Johnson,
Kenyon Pooling, or Olumide Ayedeje from Africa.

But the guy who has made Pitino’s eyes pop out the most in the last week
has been Jerome Moiso.

**

1. N.J. Nets -- Stromile Swift. This kid left LSU and entered his name
in the draft, and with good reason. In my opinion, he has the talent to
be a really great one and if I had the No. 1 I would pick him and never
hesitate.

2. Vancouver -- Davis Miles. They really want Swift! However, Miles
might prove to be the best in this draft.

3. L.A. Clippers -- Kenyon Martin. If Swift had not come out, the Nets
would take this guy.

4. Chicago -- Courtney Alexander. A very versatile big- time player.

5. Orlando -- Marcus Fizer. They like him. I don’t. I question his size
and lack of speed. Hmmm!

6. Atlanta -- Chris Mihms. While it’s true that he’s bigger than a Texas
oil well, there are a lot of NBA insiders who think this guy will turn
out to be a big stiff.

7. Chicago -- Joel Pryzbilla. I don’t know why. Jerry Krause doesn’t
make many mistakes, but this will be one.

8. Cleveland -- Mike Miller. Another very questionable pick. Left
Florida too soon?

9. Houston -- DeMarr Johnson. Was mentioned a lot for the Celtics and it
might happen. He’s good but raw ... also needs to hit the weights. Very
skinny.

10. Orlando -- Deshawn Stevenson. Outstanding schoolboy prospect. Great
pick for anyone.

11. Boston Celtics -- Jerome Moiso. If this happens, Dallas will take
one of the other guys I had in the Celtics’ scenario.

12. Dallas -- Jerome Moiso. I love this pick. He’s a strong athlete.
Some question his heart. I don’t.

13. Orlando -- Quinton Richardson. This youngster’s stock really is
rising. He appears to have it all. Some question his perimeter game.

14. Detroit -- Kenyon Pooling. The top point guard in the draft, so it’s
a safe pick.

15. Milwaukee -- Etan Thomas. He fills a need because the Bucks must
acquire a power forward.

16. Sacramento -- Mo Peterson. His stock slipped a lot, but they need a
2-guard.

17. Seattle -- Jamal Magliore. I know this guy very well. I even
traveled to Toronto with Pitino to watch him work out as a
high-schooler. I think he will be a good one.

18. L.A. Clippers -- Speedy Claxton. Top senior point guard in draft ...
reminds some of Tim Hardaway.

19. Charlotte -- Iakovos Tsakalidis. He’s big and the Hornets don’t need
big, so the question is: Why?

20. Philadelphia -- Jamal Crawford. Could go earlier ... Philly is
hoping he can replace Larry Hughes. He can’t.

21. Toronto -- Mateen Cleaves. They need a point guard, so it’s a safe
pick. Only I don’t think the young man can run a team that has plans to
go to the finals next year.

22. N.Y. Knicks -- Donnell Harvey. They need a rebounder and that’s what
he does best.

23. Utah -- Erick Barkley. They need someone to take over for Stockton,
who will be leaving after this year.

24. Chicago -- Marco Jaric. I think Krause wants to play in Europe, but
he’s smarter that I am. Only time will tell why he is so much in love
with foreign kids.

25. Phoenix -- Desmond Mason. He’s one of the best athletes in the
draft, and the Suns love athletes.

26. Utah -- Traded pick.

27. Indiana -- Ernest Brown. A very talented 6-1 junior college kid who
is also tough.

28. Portland -- This is a pick ’em, either 7-1 Brezle of Slovania or 7-1
Bagaric from Croatia.

29. Lakers -- Chris Carrawell. A really good utility player. If Jerry
West wants him, that’s good enough for me.

There are quite a few sleepers in this draft, but the five names that
keep coming up the most are Justin Lavell from St. Louis, Joseph Sesar
from Croatia, Samalle from Cincy via the IBL, Lamar Postell of St.
John’s and Hedayet Turkoglr from Turkey.

Ken Ford, alias Jersey Red, writes a weekly column for The Herald News.