Kings Free Agents: Jon Barry or Tony Delk??

Let freedom ring? Kings dreading it
By Martin McNeal
Bee Staff Writer
(Published June 25, 2000)

Kings vice president Geoff Petrie is focused on Wednesday's NBA draft, but
it's merely the appetizer to the main course -- free agency.
On July 1, guards Jon Barry and Tony Delk and center Scot Pollard will be
free agents, capable of walking away and leaving the Kings with nothing in
return. Petrie can't begin talking to free agents until then, so the draft is
the first opportunity to improve the roster.

"I think free agency can be somewhat treacherous," Petrie said of the system
the Kings have used to improve, but now gives three valuable players the
option of leaving Scot-free. "We can't control what people are going to do."

Forward Corliss Williamson and reserve point guard Darrick Martin also can
become free agents but are expected to exercise their options and agree to
the second season on their contracts. Williamson will be paid $4 million next
season; Martin already has notified the Kings that he will accept the second
year of his $1.3 million deal.

Martin's decision is somewhat surprising because of his disappointment over
the turn of events late last season that placed him behind Delk and starting
point guard Jason Williams.

Petrie said Barry, like Martin represented by agent Arn Tellem, has notified
the club of his decision to become a free agent.

Barry said he would love to return to the Kings.

"This is where I want to be," said Barry, one of the game's best shooters and
a sparkplug off Sacramento's bench. "I want to (re-sign), but I want to see
what else is out there for me."

Barry made $800,000 last season and was scheduled to earn $880,000 next
season. Pollard made $1.1 million and was slated to move up to approximately
$1.3 next season. Both players likely will receive offers for substantially
more in the open market.

Rookie guard Ryan Robertson also will become a free agent unless the Kings
exercise their option on his contract.

The Kings, by virtue of the early Bird exception, can make substantial bids
to keep both Barry and Pollard.

The early Bird exception is a premature version of the full-fledged Larry
Bird exception. Both are designed to help capped-out teams retain their
players. The Bird exception allows teams to exceed the cap to the maximum
value a player can be resigned according to his years of service or previous
contract.

The early Bird allows a team to re-sign a player at the average salary from
the previous season if that player has been with a team for consecutive
seasons. Barry and Pollard fit that requirement, so the Kings, despite their
anticipation of being above the projected $35.5 million salary cap, can bid
above teams hoping to lure either with the $2.25 million exceptions.

Retaining Delk might be the biggest quandary Petrie faces. Delk's
representatives are seeking at least the $2.25 million exception. Delk, one
of the more valuable Kings late in the season, was a relative bargain, as
were Barry and Pollard.

All three played on the cheap side last season and are looking to cash in now
on their respective opportunities.

Petrie's decision to keep all strategies close to the vest should make him an
excellent poker player. He will not address which players specifically he
would like to re-sign.

"As a general rule, though," he said, "you like to have the ability to retain
good players or solid contributors."

It wouldn't hurt either to add a good player. And make no mistake, ideally
Petrie will use the $2.25-million exception to bring in an athletic veteran
capable of stepping right into the rotation. Ultimately, he might have to
weigh that option against what an improving Delk brings to the team.

As for Wednesday's draft, Petrie is armed with picks 16 and 45. The mere
concept of wishing, waiting and hoping to see which player he likes, if any,
falls to the Kings choice is verbiage-inspiring.

"I'm in a veritable quandary searching for a Polonius moment," he said.

Translation: Petrie can't decide which players will be available or which one
to draft.

"At No. 16, I'm wrapped around more of the thicket," Petrie said. "I'm
rumbling, tumbling, stumbling and even mumbling at this point."