More Fortson BYC thoughts

OK, so I've been looking into BYC a little bit and it sounds like there are
only a few options with Fortson.

1.  He signs with another team as a free agent.  He'll either need to hook
up with a team under the cap, or take the $2m exception.

2.  Sign and trade.  He can go to a team under the cap for anything they can
fit, or be offered 120% of his current salary, 1,678,800, or 2,014,560.
Otherwise he becomes a BYC player and all of that makes it extremely
complicated.  So he might as well just sign on his own and not worry about
satisfying the Celtics' trade needs.

3.  Sign with the Celtics for any amount.  If they offer him even $3m, it's
more than all but a few teams can offer him.

It sounds as if BSG is right and there's very little reason Fortson would
opt for a sign and trade, rather than just signing as a free agent.  keeping
him now seems much more likely to me, but then so does losing him for
nothing.  There has to be more to it, or they would have made sure they
traded him at the deadline, wouldn't they?

Are there any angles I'm missing?  For instance, does he retain any Larry
Bird rights by being traded that he would lose by signing as a free agent?
Are there teams that would want to trade for him, but not sign him as a free
agent, e.g. if they had a player they wanted to get rid of?  Would we want
such a player?  We'd probably have to include a pick to get anyone decent,
no?

Jim