Ri To The Rescue...

Will the C's make any kind of effort to sign this behemoth?

7-9 N. Korean could capture Krause's eye

June 22, 2000

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI STAFF REPORTER  Chicago Sun Times

Jerry Krause never has shied away from foreign players who are
considered big projects, but no NBA team has encountered a project as
big as Michael Ri.

The 7-9 Ri is a 30-year-old North Korean who is expected to finally
receive clearance to play in the NBA after the United States relaxed
restrictions on North Korea on Monday.

"I remember two or three years ago [Canadian national team coach] Jack
Donohue called and told me about Ri," Krause said. "But I haven't heard
his name since. I didn't know he could work out for NBA teams now."

Ri was able to work out in Canada but not the United States until now.

"When Michael arrived, he had no conditioning and couldn't use his left
hand," Donohue told the National Post in Canada. "Eight months later, he
was NBA material. With his great outside touch and foul-shooting skills,
he reminds me of Rik Smits."