Russell coming out of the shadows

RE-EMERGING: Russell, ex-Celtic legend, steps from shadows

By Richard Sandomir

THE NEW YORK TIMES

Suddenly, Bill Russell is back in the public, emerging from his quiet life on
Mercer Island, Wash., as the white-bearded icon of teamwork.

Russell, a Boston Celtics legend, is now an ''original,'' who suggests that
viewers ''ask for an original'' Coors beer in a commercial. He was the
subject of an HBO documentary that he and his adviser pitched and the
recipient of a $400,000 deal to write a book on leadership.

He's in demand as a motivational speaker at $25,000 a speech. He's now so
available to the Celtics that he attends events such as last Sunday's cookout
for season-ticket holders.

Russell, 66, last wore a Celtics uniform 31 years ago, and last coached, to a
17-41 record, at Sacramento 12 years ago. Then he seemed to disappear, more
in the manner of Sandy Koufax, with occasional sightings, than the
full-bodied reclusiveness of J.D. Salinger.

Why resurface now, and with such gusto?

At first Russell said he didn't know. ''I'll see if I can figure it out,'' he
said during one of two telephone interviews. ''Can I call you in a week or
two?''

Then he said, ''I wanted to be forgotten.''

The thinking behind Russell's planned renaissance wasn't his.

''My plan was to fade away,'' he said. ''I've tried to keep my life as small
as possible. I have some good friends, and I have fun.''

But that wasn't what his business adviser, Alan Hilburg, and Russell's
daughter, Karen, wanted for him. In the summer of 1998 they convinced him
that the end of the millennium would spawn retrospectives and lists about the
20th century's greatest athletes and that he had to tell his story -- or
others would.

''We talked about how much of today's generation doesn't know basketball
existed before Magic, Larry and Michael,'' Hilburg said. ''Bill told me that
one of his grandchildren asked him, 'Were you as good as Michael Jordan?' ''

They convinced Russell that his singular identity -- the ultimate team-sports
champion -- was valuable, but dormant. Russell played on teams that won two
NCAA championships at the University of San Francisco, an Olympic gold medal
and 11 National Basketball Association titles in 13 years. But Jordan's
Chicago Bulls, with six NBA titles in eight years, had come to symbolize the
greatest generation.

''I was comfortable with going home and closing the door, but Alan and my
daughter and a few friends said that wasn't right,'' Russell said. ''They
said I shouldn't take my accomplishments in silence. While I'm not completely
comfortable with this, I can put myself in a frame of mind where I'm not
uncomfortable.''

Russell's deference to his daughter and his adviser indicates an apparent
easing of his need to go his own way.

''When I was active as a player, I always felt I was the only one on the
planet who knew what he was doing,'' he said. Tom ''Satch'' Sanders, a former
Celtics teammate, said: ''Everything's always been a personal choice with
Russell. He's charming if he wants to be. He's capable of doing a lot more,
but he never wanted to. But he was visible on the golf course.''

Bob Cousy, another Celtics teammate, added, ''He's mellowed and is allowing
himself to reach out and communicate with people who want to have a
relationship with him.''

Inside their unit, Cousy said, Russell was outgoing and witty, but when faced
with racism on the outside, he was uncommunicative.

''I think he's concluded that there's good and bad, but you can't be consumed
with the bad,'' Cousy said.

Russell Redux is, in essence, a product relaunch designed to emphasize
Russell's championship pedigree, not to deal with his image, ingrained with
the public as enigmatic and aloof.

He still declines to sign autographs, preferring to speak to a fan or shake
his hand instead. He distinguishes between autographs for fans or teammates
and corporate deals to sign goods for a fee to sell to serious collectors.

The plan to revive the Russell brand took shape in September 1998, when
Hilburg invited Frank Deford of Sports Illustrated to meet with Russell in
New York.

''Russell couldn't say it out of modesty,'' Deford said, ''but Alan said to
Bill, 'The millennium is fading, and you're fading; you've got to make an
effort to come out.' ''

Hilburg wanted Deford's input and wondered if he wanted to write about
Russell in Sports Illustrated. Deford's positive response led Hilburg to ask
if HBO Sports, where Deford also works, would want Russell's cooperation for
a documentary. Russell's name hadn't been on HBO's radar screen as a possible
subject because network executives assumed he was unavailable.

Deford's article was published in early May 1999, three weeks before
Russell's No. 6 uniform jersey was retired in an emotional ceremony at the
Fleet Center in Boston. In 1972, Russell had demanded that his uniform be
raised to the Boston Garden rafters with no fans present. But because the
Fleet Center gala was organized by Karen Russell to benefit the National
Mentoring Partnership, Russell's favorite charity, he agreed to a public
ceremony.

The event attracted a longtime nemesis, Wilt Chamberlain; Russell's former
coach, Red Auerbach; former teammates; and Larry Bird and Kareem
Abdul-Jabbar. The crowd's standing ovation moved Russell to tears and a
rapprochement with Celtics fans.

Hilburg said he and Russell are wrapping up two more deals and are seeking an
Internet deal. Russell has also agreed to write the leadership book for
Dutton.

Published: June 22, 2000