Rodecker on Moiso etc.

Below are the two scouting reports from Rodecker concerning Jerome
Moïso. In this case an extra inch of height does not a center make, but
7-feet is still a big deal on a team like the Celts that have no
7-footers. I just hope
Moiso fills out enough to play center in six or seven years. He's
roughly at the
same playing weight now as Battie and McCarty.

FWIW, Moiso is one of those college jocks who look like they suffer from

premature aging. He actually looks around 35 years old in his CBS
Sportsline photo, even though he is a UCLA sophomore. It is like when
they show mug shots of the starting offensive lines during televised
college (American) football games, and half the guys look as old as your

typical 35-year-old banker or insurance salesman.

I never understood why a large number of good college athletes look so
aged. It's not just their imposing size, it is their faces. I guess part

of being a successful amateur athlete is reaching peak physical maturity

a lot faster than your peers.

The above comments are probably all nonsense. If Moiso is our man, I'd
love to see the Celtics move Tony Batgirl in July because his minutes
and trade value will evaporate to nothing next season under this
scenario. And that's the "best case scenario" wherein Moiso makes an
immediate impact in Boston. Although the Rodecker scouting report is
filled with high praise for Moiso, incredibly similar things were said
of Tony Battie and Keon Clark not long ago (and both of them were
college double-double guys, not 6 rebounds per game guys).

As for Fortson, I think he can be re-signed (and traded if deemed
appropriate by both sides) for a few dollars over the veteran minimum
slot, since all of the NBA teams presently under the cap who can outbid
Boston outright are already fairly deep at power forward.

---------

By George Rodecker
Special to SportsLine

May 2000: One of the most fluid big men available this draft, Moiso is a

quick player who moves around the court and gets a lot done.

A decent shooter who can pile up the points in a hurry, Moiso is at his
best in the open floor. A zealous defender, he's quick to react and has
excellent leaping ability at both ends of the floor.

If he plays in Chicago, Moiso will settle the issue as to whether he's a

lottery pick or mid-first-round selection.

January 2000: Jerome has started out like a house on fire this season
averaging 14.8 points and 6 rebounds per game. He's shooting 61% from
the floor and 65% from the free throw line. His defensive intensity,
while not showing up in glossy stats is solid and he is more likely to
discourage a driving guard than block his shot. The scouts have several
questions about his pro abilities and would like to see him step outside

and add a perimeter game to his arsenal. Moiso certainly has time on his

side.