Trailblazers would want multiple picks for O'Neal....

Croshere believes in Boston
NBA Finals Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Saturday, June 17, 2000

INDIANAPOLIS - While he makes no heavy commitments to the notion, free
agent-to-be Austin Croshere is very much interested in Boston.

One of the lures would be Celtics coach Rick Pitino. One of the
drawbacks is what Rick Pitino has said.

The 6-foot-10 Pacer forward via Providence College has stepped forth in
these NBA Finals as a major scoring threat, and his acquisition would be
a giant step forward for the Celtics. Croshere's first inclination,
however, is to stay with Indiana, but questions about the club's
direction with Larry Bird stepping down as coach have forced him to look
beyond the Pacer borders.

The problem for the Celts is that there may be similar issues by this
time next year.

``Pitino doesn't scare me off at all,'' said Croshere. ``I don't have
any problem with his style. You know, different coaches have different
philosophies.

``The thing that would scare me off about the Boston situation is that
he's pretty much openly said that if they don't make the playoffs (next
season), then he wouldn't want to be there. I don't know if you want to
go into a situation that kind of lacks stability in that sense.''

Croshere has an option to accept one more year with the Pacers at $2
million, and that remains a decent possibility.

``I really like Indiana,'' he said. ``I mean, there's nothing about
Indiana that I dislike. But obviously there's a lot of question marks,
meaning the coaching staff and personnel and what's going to happen
there. You don't know what they're going to do. You don't know who'll be
back here for next season.

``I haven't looked too much at any of the options with any of the other
teams. I think first is the situation here in Indiana. It would just
help a lot to know what's going to happen here. You really need to know
before you can make a decision on something like that.''

Though he is a child of Santa Monica, Calif., the idea of nor'easters
doesn't frighten Croshere.

``Oh, I love New England,'' he said. ``I absolutely loved the four years
I spent in Providence, and I spent a lot of time in Boston. I love the
area. It would be great to be back there. But like I said, a lot really
depends on what happens here.''

Other O'Neal interests C's

The Celtics are taking a look at Portland's Jermaine O'Neal, but it's
likely the cost would be too high. O'Neal, who has been in and out with
his aggressiveness and game effort, is nonetheless a spectacular talent.

But the word from the West is that the 21-year-old might cost the Celts
their first round pick this season (No. 11 overall) and the future pick
the C's have coming from Denver after last year's Ron Mercer-Danny
Fortson deal. To make the salary numbers work, the Celts would likely
push a bad contract or two on the Blazers.

But it's doubtful the discussion would get that far.

Chicago and Orlando have multiple picks in the opening round and are in
a far better position to get O'Neal.