Interview with Bird (B4 finals) courtesy of BSG link

http://www.starnews.com/sports/articles/BIRD06.html
Voice of Experience
Hall of Fame player and three-time NBA champion Larry Bird can tell his Pacers what it's really like in the NBA Finals.
Indianapolis Star
June 6, 2000
The Indiana Pacer with the most NBA Finals experience is, of course, their coach, Larry Bird, who was the mainstay of the Boston Celtics teams that went to five NBA Finals and won three championships in a seven-year span ('81, '84, '86). Bird sat down with Indianapolis Star columnist Bill Benner to look back and look ahead:

Question: You've got a team of older players who took years to finally reach the NBA Finals. As a player, you made it in just your second year, 1981, but I'm wondering if you didn't appreciate it more as time went on.
Answer: Not really. We were so powerful in '86 we felt that 20 games into the year if we stayed away from injuries, we were going to win it. But in '81, Dave Cowens quit during training camp, we just got Robert Parish that year and (Kevin) McHale was young. When Dave quit, we though we didn't have a chance, but all of a sudden Robert started running the floor and doing things. We still didn't know if we could win the championship then, but we knew we had a chance.

Q: How about the '84 championship team?