off-season ideas

I've been lurking for awhile, but I wanted to voice two of my thoughts.

1st, regarding Tony Battie.  I have been as disappointed as everyone else.
i also expected this year to be his breakout season.  It didn't happen.
But, who had heard of Jayson Williams when he was 24?  Where was Dale Davis
at 24?  Who had heard of Theo Ratliffe at the same age?  What about Antonio
Davis?  These players are all current or potential all star power forwards
and they all came into there own closer to 30 than 20.  OK, I don't know how
old Theo is, but you get my point.  Battie could easily be the next. . .He
has the defensive potential to be as good or better than any of the above
and has more potential on offense than all of them.  He's signed long term
and that's to our benefit.  You don't sell low. . .his stock will rise.

2nd, regarding Jemaine O'Neal.  I don't know why I didn't think of it
myself.  It's brilliant.  To get to where the lakers are, you have to take
chances and you have to make deals.  It paid off paying Shaq.  Not such a
good idea trading Eddie for Rice.  Great move getting Harper but Horry is a
waste product.  Jermaine is going to be a top center in this league.  Get
him now while he still averages 3.9 PPG.  You won't have the same chance
next summer.  If that doesn't work out, go for Cato.  I normally hate mock
'what-if' lineups but humor me. . .our front four would include O'Neal or
Cato, Walker, Pierce, and X at SG.  O'Neal's length and athleticism
compensate for the lack of this at Walker's PF slot while the rest of
Antoine's well-advertised positive attributes blow away the slower, aging
PF's.  This is something that VP's game couldn't do for Walker's.  Our
second front line then features VP, Battie, Walker/Pierce (one should always
be on the floor). AG/Cheaney.  VP's and Battie's games clearly complement
eachother.

The above scheme has a lot of flexibility--I haven't mentioned Fortson or
our draft pick.  One would probably hace to go to get O'Neal.  I love
Fortson and still think you can win with a front line rotation of
Walker/Battie/Fortson/VP as long as it includes some other player that we
don't currently have.  For the draft pick, i like DeMarr Johnson.  I live in
Cincinnati, I watched every Bearcat game this season and this kid could be
the real deal.  He could be what Kobe is.  (He could also be what Dontonio
Wingfield is).

In conclusion, I would say forget about looking big in the draft.  Big guys
bloom late.  Don't trade Battie because big guys bloom late.  Use VP or Fort
(although I like both of them) to get a player like O'Neal or Cato to fill
in our holes.  Then if you haven't used the pick after doing all that, draft
an athlete, not a brute to be groomed to take AG's spot.  What do you think?

Goggin in Cincinnati