Re: Smith: Pitino Wants Out And Van Horn

Paul, I am not sure I agree with either of these statements. Walker and VH
are pretty much a wash so far in their careers. Both have shown signs of
stardom, put up decent numbers, but have been terribly inconsistent, and it
is somewhat questionable what is truly their best position is in the NBA.
Physical 4's kill them inside, and 3's are too quick also.

As far as the Mercer trade,  this guy has been traded twice since and called
a "cancer" by teammates. Yes he was probably more athletic, but still has
some major weaknesses and surely did not warrant what he was asking for.
Fortson could bring us a decent player in a sign and trade. The Laker's
would kill right now for a Danny Fortson's bull presence at the 4 spot. (as
long as he doesn't foul out in 10 minutes). Adding a Cato, a defensive
scrapper like Rueben Patterson, or maybe a BonziWells if Grant and O'neal
leave at year end ? would end up being a decent swap for Mercer at this
time.

We also have the Denver pick which personally I would trade for a proven
veteran. How about the pick back to Denver for Van Exel ?