OnHoops Mock Drafts

May 31, 2000, Kelly Dwyer.
Over the last few weeks we've received a whole slew of emails asking us
to drop our thoughts on the upcoming NBA Draft. So we went to work,
until we realized that the "upcoming" NBA Draft isn't for another damn
month.

Frankly, I don't like to put out mock drafts until the days leading up
to the real deal, because the thought of doing more than one kids of
made me ill. The idea of going back to contradict myself, in light of
Chris Mihm's future hunting accident, Stromile's Swift's decision to
open for De La Soul this summer, and Darius Miles' admission to Harvard
Business School; was particularly unsavory.

Still, some things need to get out. In spite of the fact that individual
workouts have just started, draft camps haven't swung into gear, and
half these teams don't even have coaches yet (no, I didn't count Lon
Kruger)-- some of the initial reactions to the 2000 Draft Lottery need
to published.

So here are my current ideas on how the first thirteen picks will shape
up.

1. New Jersey Nets: Chris Mihm, center, Texas - We're not as sold on as
Mihm as most other cats (Jerry Krause, mostly), but we're always sold on
the idea of a talented 7-footer playing in the post. Bulls fans should
keep their fingers crossed and pray that Jerry Krause doesn't try and
trade up, because New Jersey is looking to deal. No one in the
organization, regardless of who they hire, is comfortable with the idea
of Mihm as a number one pick. Nobody is really sure that he has the
package that most #1's come with, but the Nets desperately need a force
down low on both ends. If they haven't put Keith Van Horn at small
forward by now, then they won't be doing it for Kenyon Martin. This'll
be the first time in years that John Thompson won't be commenting on the
proceedings at hand. He will be the proceedings at hand.

2. Vancouver Grizzlies: Kenyon Martin, forward, Cincinnati - The new
brains behind the Vancouver organization (and I use all those words
loosely) are going to try their damndest not to make the obvious pick.
They'd love to shock the world by pulling a full-Nelson, drafting a tall
foreigner "who plays like a guard." It's as if Dick Versace wants to
prove to the world that things done changed in Grizzville, nobody's
playing it safe (as if they ever did), and that he can mold anyone he
chooses into an All-Star. Great. And good to hear that the defensive
monster the Grizzlies have always needed will be available at the second
slot (Vancouver's third straight #2 selection). Even on one leg, Kenyon
is still the best player in the draft.

3. Los Angeles Clippers: Marcus Fizer, forward, Iowa State - The
Clippers will always go for the name player, Fizer's game will wow the
Clipper Crew in individual workouts, and they'll take Da Fize over
Stromile Swift. They'll also assume that Fizer's power game in a 6'8"
frame will mesh nicely with Lamar Odom's Magic Johnson in a big ass
bottle skills. Again, I'm not as high on Fizer as others, but he made
the smartest move of any early-entry candidate (I'm not talking about
moving to Chi, either). Marcus' stock is at it's absolute highest, and
he'll be chosen accordingly.

4. Chicago Bulls: Darius Miles, forward, East St. Louis - Nearly every
mock draft has the Bulls taking Miles and former Minnesota center
Przybilla at either one of their top ten slots. That would be a major
league draft, easily making them the winners of the Nicest Draft Award.
With the way things are shaping out, according to draft position and
team needs, it might just happen. I figure, by the time late June rolls
around, I'll have a nice tan. I also figure that Miles will have moved
up on most teams' lists, and the Bulls will have to secure their future
All-Star faster than we've anticipated in late May. Miles has it all,
and will be a top-5 player in as many years.

5. Orlando Magic: Stromile Swift, forward, LSU - Besides having the
coolest name we've heard in years, Stromile Swift will also be a boon in
the middle for a growing Orlando Magic team. The Magic will teach him to
play big, to be a force at the power forward position and to use his
smaller face-up skills only when called for. Stromile Swift.

6. Atlanta Hawks: Mike Miller, forward, Florida - The Hawks love Miller
already, and are looking for a nice face to build their team around,
draw the crowds in. Miller might not have the nicest looking face
around, but he does have star quality, a name the southerners can
remember from his NCAA days. Miller's game is there, a few rough edges
need to be rounded out, but we know Lon Kruger will love him. The guy
has a ways to go before he becomes an impact player, but the package is
there. Again, I'm not saying this is a great pick, it's just what's
going to go down.

7. Chicago Bulls: Joel Przybilla, center, Minnesota - Joel's offensive
game is truly offensive at this point, but he has the athleticism and
body enough to be a strong NBA center. All the Bulls ask for down low is
someone that can block shots, rebound, pass the ball, and can the
jumper. Przybilla can do the first two, and will learn the others once
he realizes that the Bulls have other guys who can put the rock in the
hole. If Chicago can pull him and Miles out of the 4 and 7 slots,
they'll be on the road to romance even if their free agent coup doesn't
happen according to plan.

8. Cleveland Cavaliers: Iakovos Tsakalidis, center, Greece - After
seeing this guy play 20 or 25 times, I can finally say, this is the big
man the Cavaliers need. Actually, I've never seen him play, I hadn't
even heard of until a few weeks back, and tomorrow morning I'll only
remember that "he's that Greek guy the Cavs like." Houston and Boston
are hoping that Tsakalidis falls into their laps, but don't bet on it.
Even with the return of Zydrunas Ilgauskas (providing he listens to
doctors that don't have the Cavs logo on their business cards),
Cleveland needs big depth. They are a squad built on the inside/outside
game, and when the inside is just Andrew DeClercq, Mark Bryant, and an
overweight guy getting his shot blocked; the outside just ain't
happening.

9. Houston Rockets: DerMarr Johnson, guard, Cincinnati - Wait until
these teams see this kid in workouts. The games, yeah, they're a
different story. But wait until DerMarr makes 25 of 30 from behind the
line, and touches the rim with his elbow. With both hands, at 6'9", a
long and sinewy frame-- this guy has it all. Come game time, he shrivels
up a bit. Maybe the NBA will change that. The Rockets would hope playing
with a point guard like Steve Francis will.

10. Orlando Magic: Courtney Alexander, guard, Fresno State - The Magic,
with three picks and all that cap room, are looking to take chances and
grab the best player available. Alexander has a thick, Isaiah Rider-like
frame, and all the skills you want in a shooting guard. With Ron
Mercer's stock at an all-time low (save for last February), the Magic
might look to make a bargain purchase. Doesn't matter to Alexander, who
isn't ready to start anyway. This guy will shine in individual workouts,
show off all his handles, range, and slap the backboard a few times.

11. Boston Celtics: Jerome Moiso, forward, UCLA - Rick Pitino and Chris
Wallace will love this guy's individual performances. He can go off the
dribble, shoot from 15 feet, and jump all day. This doesn't exactly mean
he'll do any of these things in the NBA, but it could mean Pitino will
call him "Dave Cowens without a jump shot." In the meantime (that is,
until Moiso is traded), the Celts will lock in on Jerome at #11.

12. Dallas Mavericks: Quentin Richardson, forward, DePaul - Here's a guy
(to start like Hubie Brown) who was a projected top three pick in last
year's draft, and managed to drop himself into the dreaded "lower first
round selection" area this year. We don't think so. Yeah, he wasn't much
last year, and we aren't saying he'll have an NBA career worthy of a
top-10 pick (the name Cedric Ceballos has been bandied about), but his
individual workouts and overall package and promise will vault him into
a lottery selection. The Mavericks will love how his game reminds him of
years past (Aguirre, Trent, Ceballos, Adrian Delano Dantley), and swipe
him up.

13. Orlando Magic: DeShawn Stevenson, guard, Fresno, Cali - A huge
mistake and sad story in his decision to skip college, but Orlando has
the time and organization enough to make his case work with a lottery
pick. He'll watch and learn. All this assuming Orlando doesn't create a
fine draft pick package for someone else to pounce on. And Mihm's
hunting accident.