Tsakalidis Is A "Bleeping Monster"

Apparently he stands 7-1 in bare feet, weighs 265 pounds, and has
8 percent body fat...

last updated: Thursday 1 June 2000  local sports

Big man en route from Greece to Grizz
Howard Tsumura The Province
Iakovos Tsakalidis takes the first step on his journey to the NBA today
when he boards a flight bound from Greece to Vancouver.

The agent for Tsakalidis, Steve Kostalas, said he expects the 7-foot-2
centre to work out for the Grizzlies on Saturday. "Yes, we're going to
be travelling tomorrow," said Kostalas from Greece on Wednesday. "I
believe (the workout) will be on Saturday."

Although the 21-year-old pivot, who reportedly weighs 265 pounds with
eight per cent body fat, is not projected to be picked near the
Grizzlies' slot at No. 2, he has nonetheless caught the eye of
Vancouver's management team, which recently saw him in Greece.

"Let's put it this way," said Kostalas, "the reaction of NBA general
managers when they shake hands with him is they turn around and they
tell me, 'This is a (bleeping) monster.'

"I'm absolutely, positively sure that he's going to measure at least 7-1
if not 7-2. We're talking bare-footed 7-1. I haven't seen a lot of
players play bare-footed lately."

Kostalas said it was time for his client to take a stab at his dream.

"It's something that is from the tube and nothing else," he said of the
tape-delayed broadcasts that have been Tsakalidis' only glimpse of the
NBA.

"You just see it on the TV. It's fantasyland, or something like that."

While Tsakalidis will take a physical at the Chicago pre-draft camp next
week, Kostalas said the Grizzlies are the the only team to finalize a
private workout so far.

"We believe that the new ownership is very committed to a new effort,"
he said. "They showed it to us. They were here for five days."

Kostalas said there would be enough minutes for both Tsakalidis and
Bryant Reeves should his client play in Vancouver.

"I think the league is big enough where two guys together could really
play a lot of quality minutes," he said.

"With Tsakalidis or any draft pick, there's so few of them that could
come in and play 30 minutes a game."