Jermaine and the 3 no.1 picks

found this rather interesting tidbit on Jermaine. Glad
Blazers didn't take our 3 no.1s.

http://ripcity.homestead.com/BlazerQandA.html
FAN QUESTION:  Thanks for taking the time to answer
these questions.  Although many rumors are swirling
around the Blazers, very few appear now to be solid.
This may change, or may not. Most of what seems to have
been offered for Jermaine, Brian, and Damon appear to
be unsatisfactory to Trader Bob. My question is this:
If we don't make a big move, will some of the small
problems of last year be magnified even more this year?
Problems like Stoudamaire being unhappy and everybody
else being unhappy with him. A healthy Grant upset at
not playing more. Jermaine maybe not reporting to camp.
It seems as if Bob almost has to pull the trigger to
try and alleviate some of this before training camp.

MY RESPONSE:  Thanks for your support.  Let's start
with Jermaine.  I'm sure Whitsitt would like to deal
him, but he isn't going to make a bad trade just for
the sake of getting rid of a headache.  Whitsitt isn't
the type of GM that is going to give a player away just
to make the player happy or prevent a little
controversy.  If Whitsitt doesn't get an offer he
likes, Jermaine will either have to suck it up and come
to work every day like a professional or continue his
spoiled little baby routine.  If Jermaine chooses to
act like a baby, I don't think it will affect the rest
of the team at all.  I find it hard to believe that the
performance of players like Steve Smith, Scottie
Pippen, etc. is going to be hampered because a player
like Jermaine doesn't report to camp or is sulking on
the end of bench during the season.  Why would they
care?  It isn't as if the Blazers are relying on
Jermaine to be a major contributor on the court.  The
truth be told, when Antonio Harvey got playing time
last year, he often played Jermaine's role better than
Jermaine did himself.  Antonio can't match Jermaine's
raw athletic ability (he doesn't have quite the hops,
isn't as good a shot blocker and isn't as fast), but he
certainly beats Jermaine in the hustle and brains
department.  Antonio accepted his limited role and
played as hard as he could whenever he was called upon
last season.  Most of the Blazers would probably prefer
to be out on the court with Antonio rather than some
kid that gets off the bench and walks onto the court
like he just woke up from a nap.
As for Stoudamire, I don't think the chemistry issues
surrounding him will have any significant impact on the
Blazers quest to win a championship next season.  That
being said, Damon probably isn't going to be 100% happy
unless he becomes the featured scorer on the team (like
he was in Toronto).  That will never happen since a
team can't win a championship if their featured scorer
is such a low percentage shooter.  The reality is that
no team in the NBA has 12 players that are completely
thrilled with their roles.  Most NBA players wish they
could play more minutes and get more shots.  Just
because you have a few players that are not thrilled
with their roles doesn't mean you can't win
championship.  Glen Rice was very unhappy with his role
in LA last year, but he still went out and played hard
and tried to contribute.  Stoudamire does the same
thing.  He might state the obvious a few times each
year (that he is not thrilled with his role), but I
have never seen Damon give anything less than 100%
effort on the court.  Lots of people confuse Damon's
effort level with his physical deficiencies, which is a
mistake.