three-way deal with nugs

I'm not sold on Tariq Abdul-Wahad. Am I alone on this? The guy has the size
we need at 2-guard, but he is a career 42-percent shooter, and that's
without a hint of three-point range (never as high as 30 percent). He has
been a part-time player, averaging around 20-25 minutes per game, and
scoring around 9 ppg. He also is a below-average passer and ball-handler. He
reportedly is a good defender.

He sounds to me like a poor man's Ron Mercer who, thankfully, doesn't shoot
as much and defends a little better. Now I was all for signing Abdul-Wahad
or Mercer to the exception, or even working a sign-and-trade for
Fortson/Battie/Barros or any other stiff, but it's the draft pick that
concerns me. Normally, I'd hesitate to attach too much value to a draft
pick, but if next year's draft is as strong as everyone says, then two picks
in the lottery would seem to have more value, either to us or someone else,
than Abdul-Wahad.

As for Chris Herren-yes, he's a point guard with a little size and seems to
be a relatively natural playmaker. He's also a half-step slow and only
played 13 minutes per game for a lousy Denver team last year.

Don't get me wrong-adding Abdul-Wahad and Herren while only subtracting
Barros would make the Celtics better for the upcoming season. And you could
argue it's worth it to include a draft pick. That was my first
reaction-until I looked a little more closely at Abdul-Wahad and Herren. I'm
just a little gun-shy about trading away lottery picks after the Vitaly deal
(in what was supposed to be a terrible draft class).

Of course it's all just speculation at this point, and it hinges on Anderson
going to Denver (all reports say he is leaning toward San Antonio, even if
he has to settle for the exception) and Abdul-Wahad agreeing to Boston.
We'll see.

Mark