How does the Suns and Fakers do it?

>http://www.sacbee.com/sports/news/sports13_20000720.html
>Kings vice president Geoff Petrie was caught by surprise when he learned Tuesday that free-agent
>guard Tony Delk planned to sign a six-year, $17.375 million deal with the Phoenix Suns.

Hi everybody,

i am just curious to know, if the 1.2mil and 2.25mil exceptions can be offered longer than 3 years (like Cheaney's).
It seemed from paper Ameichi (Magic center) was offer 16.9mil (2.25mil x 6 years) by the Fakers and now Suns are offer this
6 year deal to Delk?

Then isn't it possible, we can do Mercer for 2.25mil x 6 years too? Of course Mercer "I'm just looking for my fair market value" got to agree first.

could somebody enlighten me and the list? thanks

kevin