Fortson & Blount

I thought the short-comings of Fortson had to do with his height and
inability to block shots, plus his lack of defense, not to mention his
foul-prone nature (not of itself a big deal).  He could turn out the
numbers in rebounds and some points only with lots of minutes.  But
with that, we had no shot-blocking and a porous interior defense.
This was exacerbated by the presence of Vitaly, another non
shot-blocking big man.  So, when he proved not to accept the minutes
he was getting, Danny wanted out.  I'm not sad to see him go.  He's a
rebounding version of Mercer's shooting problem.  They're both very
talented, but their numbers don't add up to victories.  Both could be
helpful, Fortson moreso, I think, but it didn't happen.  Paired with
Ewing or Ostertag or Robinson, Fortson would earn his keep.  But not
with Vitaly or our skinny guys.

Blount can be more useful to us.  Less rebounds, more blocks, less
ego, less minutes needed, more pizza for the other scrubs.  What do I
know?  I'm from Texas, where our poor Governor doesn't even feed
hungry children; I've got to get away from that campaign.  Bring on
the season!  Gene