Re: Shorter contracts (reply to Joe)

------original message -------
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:25:14 +0200
> From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
> Subject: Re: Rush and the old guys
> <snip>
> p.s. I think the Celtics should make it a policy to
> try to negotiate future contracts that all end on a
> specific year. For example, when Paul
> Pierce is ready to re-sign, Boston should try to
> make his contract (or team option) end on the same
> year (2005) as Antoine's and Potapenko's.
> This way, Boston could clear enough space to take
> part in the free agent
> market and improve the team's winning chances, prior
> to re-signing their
> own core players. Of course, you also need an owner
> willing to spend that
> much over the cap to compete, as well as the good
> faith of the players.

Hi Joe,
In an ideal world, this kind of contract terms can be
offered and accepted. I remembered the days of
Jordan's 30mil 1 year deals. every year the "bloody"
bulls are under the cap even though they're amongst
the highest payroll.

It may happen with Heat - will EJ take the exception?
Is the Heat going to offer a big (14mil) 1 year deal
to Hardaway? - and it will make them very
"orlandoques" next year with the Webber being a FA.
Have you heard the latest - John Amaechi taking $600k
to return to Orlando, thus rejecting the 17mil/6year
lakers offer (how the heck can they offer such? aren't
they over the cap?)?

I think your suggestion can work only if the player is
willing. For example, if we offer Pierce a 9milx3year
extention (ends 2005 as Antione), but (maybe) some
under the cap team offers 9mil x 6 years, what do you
think will go thru Pierce mind? That's where Celtic
Pride comes in I think. (and more I guess - with
Pitino hollering and shouting from the touchlines and
during practice behind your ears, don't you think the
"atmosphere" may be better out there, in addition with
a even more lucrative contract on the table.

i ask
why didn't Antione take a year to year max contract?
why dont Mercer/Fortson take a max 1 year deal?

the answer:
it's all about respect and show me the money

thanks for listening
kevin (hill and mcgrady should sign in S'pore - we're
hot and humid - just like Orlando)