Celts Announce Jaron Rush is Playing

Jaron Rush IS playing for the Celtics ummer league team (I'm so happy!)

http://www.nba.com/celtics/rush_feature000711.html

>>>JaRon Rush to show off his hoop wares at Shaw's Pro Summer League
A Diamond in the Rough

As they continue searching for depth and size in their back court, the Boston Celtics announced on July 11 that they have added former UCLA guard JaRon Rush to their 2000 Shaw's Pro Summer League roster.

Rush, who will join former UCLA teammate and Celtics first round draft choice Jerome Moiso on the roster, played in 37 games in his two-year career with the Bruins, averaging 11.6 points and 6.9 rebounds.

At the conclusion of the 1999-00 collegiate campaign, Rush declared himself an early entry into the 2000 NBA Draft. By adding him to their summer league roster the Celtics may have nailed down a sleeper, as many NBA insiders were shocked to see Rush go undrafted.

"JaRon was one of the premier talents to come out of high school in the Class of 1998," said Celtics Director of Player Personnel Leo Papile, who saw Rush play for his AAU team, the Kansas City 76ers. "But he had a limited window at UCLA. Some people feel he was going to be a first round pick . He was a what we call a slider."

Described by scouts as an A-class athlete with a streaky shot, Rush turned heads with a sparkling freshmen year at UCLA. The 6-7 swingman led the Bruins in rebounding with 7.3 boards per contest and also chipped in 11.4 points per game. His numbers earned him Pac-10 All-Freshman team and Basketball News Freshman All-America team honors.

A potentially brilliant college career was shortened when the NCAA suspended the 21-year old for all but nine games of his sophomore season (1999-00) for violations. He still excelled when he was on the floor, averaging 12.1 points and 5.7 rebounds while shooting 55.8 percent from the field. He posted a season-high 19 points in a nationally televised game at Stanford, in which the UCLA upset the top-ranked Cardinal.

"We had JaRon in for work outs before the draft, as we had some interest in him for our first round pick," said Papile. "That he is on our Shaw's Pro Summer League roster gives us a free shot at a potential first rounder. He runs and jumps real well. He is a streaky shooter now, but he has the potential to be real good."

"Along with Kris Clack, we feel we now have tremendous athleticism at the shooting guard position. This is a big hit for the Celtics." <<<<<<<<<<