Re: Holley: C's Wanted Dooling and Could Have Signed Duncan

Looks like Holley's got a new job as the Globe's Gerry Callaghan (Oh joy,
just what we needed).  Personally, I found the Dooling revelation surprising
in some respects, but also I had come to believe they wanted him before the
draft, from what we were reading.  The speculation about the Celtics being
in the Duncan and Hill sweepstakes had Pitino simply sat on the team he
inherited from ML and added draft choices is hogwash.  Doing nothing would
have meant signing Fox, Wesley, Williams, and Walker, in addition to the bad
ML contracts who are not free agents now, Barros and Minor.  Mercer and
Billups would also be around, and Holley makes it sound like the best thing
would have been to simply let them go now.  And, all of this still means the
team would have had no center whatsoever (Pervis, Dino) for three years.
Pitino is going to leave Kentucky to coach that group?  The line about
Holley "loving" Pitino as a coach is so hypocritical it's laughable.

Looking back, I do think we would have been better off doing the
Orlando/Chicago dump job. But, ML's legacy of 5/6 year contracts to marginal
players with negative trade value made that next to impossible.  And, I
didn't exactly hear a lot of people (fans or media) saying at the time,
"What this team needs to do is sit tight and suffer through three more years
of being pathetic until we finally clear enough cap room to (maybe) sign an
imact free agent."  No, we had supposedly already reaped the reward of being
pathetic.  We were going to be getting two high draft choices along with our
future star, Antoine.  We all wanted to win, now (i.e. 1997).  And it wasn't
going to happen with that group of players, and that coach/GM.  We asked
for, no demanded, a big name coach and a player shake up (i.e. lose Dino,
Dee).  And we got it (and more).  Aren't we lucky.

Jim