Re: The Fort & Free Agents

>From: bird <bird@pixi.com>
>(What I just don't understand is, why trade for him and then not use
>him?  Sure, he fouled a lot, especially in the early season, but I
>thought that fouls were there to be given in Il Duce's system?  Let
>him get 10 bounds and foul out.  The "Walker Experiment" at playing
>the 3 went by so fast I never even saw it, and so  Fort gets to play
>backup 4 and 5.  If he's not right for the "system" why pick him up?
>To trade for Alvin Williams?  (Alvin freaking Williams?  Geez.)  It
>seems to me that you can either privilege your system and gather
>those 6'10" a-the-letic (you gotta say that like Hubie Brown),
>rail-thin guys and go to war, or you assess your talent, try to
>acquire more talent, and tailor your system to them.  (I like this
>one better.)  But half of one and a quarter of the other just ain't
>gonna cut it, methinks.)

I'm afraid I can't really help you out here.  If you're going to run a
pressing team, why trade for Kenny Anderson, Vitaly Potapenko and Danny
Fortson?  It makes no sense.  Now we are hearing that we need to get more
athletic.  That the reason the team lost so much was that they pressed less
than any Pitino team since he was "in diapers".  Isn't that just precious?
Now, honestly, the first year of Pitino WAS the most enjoyable of his
tenure.  I can't believe, however, that we wasted two years of development
acquiring talent that was objectively better than what we had, but not
suited to the intended game plan.  But, there we are.

Jim