Re: comparing M.L. with Pitino??

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Gregory Hurst wrote:

> I do not care if he won 5 games!  He made the playoffs.

One more time:  M.L. never made the playoffs as coach of the Boston
Celtics.  His first season (1995-96) the team went 36-46 and missed the
playoffs, drafted 9th, traded that pick + Montross to Dallas for the 6th
pick and a first round pick the next year.  They chose Walker.

His second and final year as coach the Celtics broke the club record for
losses in a season, going 15-67.  They didn't just break the record --
they shattered it.  The previous worst record was 29-53, in 1978-79, the
year before Larry Bird joined the club.

M.L. was the GM (or equivalent -- I don't know what his exact title was)
during the 1994-95 season when Chris Ford coached the team to a 35-47
record and the 8th seed in the playoffs.  They lost to Orlando 1-3.

Dan