Pitino on trash-talking

In Bulpett's Herald column, Pitino (quite a talker himself) has some
more interesting stuff to say on trash-talking to refs:

``It's every team in the league, and until the referees put a stop to
it, it's their fault,'' Pitino said. ``As a parent, if you let your kid
talk back, then you are not a good parent. If you're a referee and you
keep taking that garbage without doing something about it, it's you. I
can tell you that the Earl Stroms and Jake O'Donnells and those people
would not take it. I don't accept it as a parent, and they shouldn't
accept it as a referee.

 ``From when I was in the league before to now, I can't believe the
grief the referees take. The NBA should double their pay. The grief they
put up with from every team is astonishing. It would never have happened
that way 15 years ago. There are some teams that bitch on every single
call like the referees are never right - and that we all know is not
true.''

In another earlier setting, Pitino was talking about the trashy trend.

``Young people today - not only with the referees, but with each other -
give me an Excedrin headache,'' he said. ``All they do is talk, talk,
talk, talk.''

****