Re: Rookie Challenge

"Jim Meyer" <jimmeyer@azstarnet.com> said:
> Maybe...if they're healthy.  It will be the "best" rookies against the
> "best" sophomores that don't make the allstar team.  I guess the NBA is
> trying to showcase their young guys..

Actually, they've been doing this for several years, although this is the
first year it's rookies vs. 2nd year players instead of East rookies vs.
West rookies.  That's probably because there was no All-Star weekend last
year, so no rookie game, so they're making it up to last year's rookies.

The Celtics always seem to have someone on the rookie team, but I guess
that's what picking low will get you.  However, the past 2 years, the
Celtics have picked no higher than 10th, and only 8 players from each
of those years get to play, instead of 16, so that's a bit of a coup
for the C's. The first rookie game was in 1994.  Celtics on Rookie Game
teams:

1994  Dino Radja
1995  Eric Montross
1996  Eric Williams
1997  Antoine Walker (Vitaly Potapenko & Travis Knight also played but weren't
                      with the Celtics then)
1998  Ron Mercer AND Chauncey Billups (Danny Fortson played on the West team)
1999  No game, but Paul Pierce named for sophomore team in 2000 game.
2000  Adrian Griffin, and to make up for last year, Paul Pierce.

HEY!!   Bill Russell and K.C. Jones will be coaching the Sophomore team!

Jon Mc