Griffin's value

Fab synopsis and commentary as usual from Bill Cooper (and as usual a tad
harsh on Pierce, but then it comes with the territory: we should expect a
bit more from our supposedly "best" player). Bill, you spoil us in
performing so consistently well what is very typically an underappreciated
and thankless task. Thanks!

I wanted to pick up on an interesting insight of Bill's, namely that the
team looks so much worse in Griffin's absence (I don't want to get into the
comparison thing as to whether it looks even more worse than without Pierce
*shudder*). In losing Griffin not only did they lose a key man-to-man
defender, an extra ball-handler who penetrated and looked for the open man,
and an all-around unselfish player who despite being a rookie in
calendar-terms gives all appearances of being the "vet" who does all the
little things to help his team. All of these losses are damaging enough,
but I don't think they completely explain why the offense has gone south so
fast.

In losing Griffin the starting line-up also lost its leading rebounder. If
I recall correctly, a good proportion of the first team's offense early in
the year came before the opposition had a chance to fully set its defense.
If not exactly fast-break ball in the sense of 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 lay-ups,
the offense still took advantage of advancing the ball relatively quickly
in order to manufacture higher percentage opportunities. These
opportunities seem to almost completely dried up. So perhaps the one factor
we least expected of Griffin when he was first inserted into the starting
line-up - his rebounding - is the one that we miss most.

The bench and the "outbreak" both had large roles in saving our tail last
night. I'm happy for the team that they got the win - they sure as heck
worked hard enough for it. Working hard is not the same, however, as
working smart, and the manner in which last night's win was obtained
doesn't leave me terribly confident of our chances tonight. Here's hoping
for more of Fortson and another victory in our journey back into playoff
contention.

Best wishes all  -Tom Murphy