wins and ugly losses

Pitino's first team won 36 games but was as fun to watch as any I've seen
since the glory days of the 80s. Why? They won  every game they were
supposed to. And a few they weren't. You never walked away feeling
shortchanged. I felt like that team got every last win it could out of its
talent.

This team is the frustrating opposite. I don't, by any means, believe we're
so talented that we should roll over anyone in this league, but the ability
of these Celtics to give away games they should win is astounding,
exasperating and inexplicable.

I look at the Eastern Conference standings and I see nine teams ahead of us.
The only team in that bunch whose personnel isn't superior to ours is
Orlando, and they're fading fast. Are we better than Milwaukee, with
Robinson, Allen and Cassell? Not in my book.

I keep trying to figure out the problem. I'm still not sold on Toine, but I
don't think he's what's wrong. It isn't Pierce or Anderson or Adrian. The
problem, I'm beginning to believe, is everyone else. We're getting next to
nothing from VP, Battie, Williams, Cheaney, Fortson, Barros, Overton, you
name it. It's not just points, it's rebounds, defense, anything. Walker,
Pierce or Anderson can't afford to have a bad game because no one is going
to pick up the slack.

I really thought, and I believe Pitino did too, that depth would be a
strength of this team. Instead, it's a glaring weakness. VP, Battie,
Fortson, Barros and Cheaney have been massive disappointments (I know Fort
has been hurt, but 12 minutes and five fouls a game isn't going to get it).
I didn't expect much from Williams, and that's exactly what we're getting.

The most disturbing thing about this is what it means for our future. You
can't upgrade through trades because no one is going to want Battie, Barros,
Cheaney or cap-killer Williams. VP probably still has some value, but what
do you do for a center? Fortson? Hate to say it, but I think Issel judged
his effectiveness under the new rules better than Pitino (or than I did,
because I liked the trade). Now we have a 12-mpg PF who can't stay out of
foul trouble in the walk year of his contract. Remember when Pitino was
weighing trade options for Mercer and said "we have a valuable asset and we
have to be careful. We can't afford to make a mistake." Well, guess what?

So how do we improve? The draft? Not likely. Free agency? No chance. Trades?
Who, and for what?

I'm afraid we are what we are: A young, immature, thin team with an
inflexible roster.

Mark Berry
(614) 424-3531
berrym@battelle.org <mailto:berrym@battelle.org>