Bulpett: Pitino on Kings

Below from Bulpett's column, Pitino praises a style of professional
basketball fit for Kings.

``They all love to pass and they can kill you with the 3-ball,'' said
Pitino. ``That's why they're averaging 105 points per game. They feed
off their center, Vlade Divac, who loves to pass. Chris Webber is a
terrific passer. (Point guard Jason) Williams, obviously, loves to pass
the ball.

``It's a rarity in this day and age to see a team that loves to pass as
much as they do, but I think that's why they're the most televised team
in the NBA. They're an entertaining team that people want to watch
because of their passing. I love watching them like everybody else.''

So does Celtics forward Danny Fortson. ``I appreciate quality basketball
and that's what they play,'' he said. ``If you're a basketball fan, you
have to like what they're doing as a team.

``From a fan's point of view, it's entertaining. From a player's point
of view, it's very effective. It's a lesson on what can be achieved when
a team is playing that type of selfless basketball.''

That is, if the lesson ever manages to sink in. In critiquing nearly
every Celtics loss this season, Pitino has cited the lack of a
consistent passing offense. He knows his team can pass effectively, but
consistency is the name of the game here.

``No one wants to watch one-on-one basketball,'' said Pitino. ``People
want to watch 5-on-5 basketball. Sacramento even comes in with people
off the bench who want to pass. It's their pass-oriented system that
makes them so difficult to guard. You have to be tuned in to every
little thing they do. Team basketball will make that happen for you.
It's a good lesson.''