Celtics Center 1/6 -- The Crisis is at Hand

Celtics Center 1/6 -- The Crisis is at Hand

It hasn't been much commented on, but the murderous anxiety that goes along with being
 a celtics fan has become much, much worse recently.  This is the pivotal sequence of
games for the Celtics.  The team has played terribly, lost many games, played well, won
a couple of games, and then fallen apart in New York on Tuesday night.  We have a game
 against Sacramento on friday, and if we lose that one, we are looking at having the same
 record as if we had not beaten Denver and Cleveland.  The experience of being a Celtics
fan has become one of constant anxiety, and I'm here to say now that it really sucks.  Even
if the Celtics are at .500 by the all-star break and make the playoffs comfortably, I think this
 is the season in which my mental investment in the team has caught up with me.  T
he problem is that so few of our upcoming games are losable.  We can barely afford to
lose to the kings.  What of the subsequent games against the Clippers, Grizzlies, and
Bulls?  What of upcoming games against the Nets and Wizards?  We need to win a few
in a row, and expect to win them, if only for the sake of my sanity.  What we really need
are losable games, in the sense that you know going in that you can afford to lose
without an onus of shame, blame, frustration, and gloom settling around you like a cloak.
The way we lost to the Knicks was a case in point.  There is no discrace to losing to one
of the top teams in the conference, in their building, on the second night of a back to
 back, in the last five minutes.  But the bad shots!  The poor defense!
All of these things that we are so sick of
 talking about were there yet again, like an outbreak of herpes on the lip of a beautiful
woman.  And then afterwards, even worse was the recrimination:  Paul Pierce complaining
 about not getting the ball enough, Kenny Anderson complaining (justly) about the team
not passing the ball, and worst of all, everyone in the world scratching their head at how
Antoine Walker, less than 24 hours off of perhaps his best night as a Celtic, should turn in
 such an awful performance, jacking up three pointers, being a non factor on both ends of
 the court, etc. etc. etc. etc.  (repeat 500x).

Much hangs on whether we can beat the Kings.  They gave us our worst beating of the
season in Sacramento, and we should want their blood badly.  We generally play very
well with several days of preparation, and the liberal imbibing of "smart drinks" and
electroshock therapy.  But if in spite of this, we still lose, we might might well find
ourselves losing to one or more of the easy opponents we face in the next two weeks,
and if that happens the season and the whole pitino organization is in peril.
And the fans will have to just stop paying attention.  If we can.

Player profiles:

Kenny Anderson is playing well, manfully sucking it up during the second half vs. the
knicks, despite having a pulled hamstring.  Let's hope it's better, because Rick Pitino
doesn't seem to understand the desperate need for a backup point guard, especially now
that Dana Barros' game has been buried with his grandmother.  If that seems cruel, it's
not as cruel as watching Dana has been recently.  Kenny is passing very well these days
and playing above average defense.  What more can you ask?  His one on one skills are
still consistently excellent, and he might have won the Knicks game for us had he
not been injured.

Paul Pierce  seems to be fully recovered from his ankle injury in terms of being able to
take anyone one on one (why exactly the ball didn't go to him at the end of the knicks
game is a legit question, albeit one someone else should ask).  His shot isn't quite there
yet, however, and his D was lacking as well towards the end.  But other that the fourth
quarter lapse, the guy has been really dominant.

Antoine you know about.

Danny Fortson is getting stronger and more effective with each game.  It turns out that he
 has quite a nice little offensive game, which is based entirely on english and ball fakes,
since he has less lift than I do.  He is as advertised an unbelievable rebounder, and the
more minutes he plays, the better chance we have of winning.  I have no clue why Pitino
would ever play him at Center, however; he can't defend 7 footers.  It's just too cruel.

Vitaly Potapenko hasn't been getting layups for several games.  Nor has he had many
opportunities to shoot his lovely jump shot.  His seems to be the fifth option in the
offense, which is too bad, because he can create trouble for nearly anybody.  On defense
 he is effective but unspectacular.  His passing is in hibernation, which probably has
something to do with the ugly plays we run.  I wish we had half a dozen plays we could
execute to perfection, which would feature Vitaly passing from the low post.

Adrian Griffin is as good as he was last month.  He might shoot some more.  I wouldn't
mind seeing him strip some balls out of guys hands more aggressively.  I know that his
whole strength is playing within himself and not making mistakes, but a big game from
 Adrian would be good for all concerned.  I wouldn't mind seeing him possessed by
Walter now and again.

Tony Battie is invisible.  He's not blocking shots or scoring, and other than an incredible
 job on Antonio McDyess last week (no small thing) has made little contribution.  Battie is
 even more than Antoine a perfect symbol of the Y2K celtics.  I would love to see this guy
 come alive.  Especially since he is our only eraser.  He could be a Camby or a Ratliff if
he would put his mind to it.  blah blah blah blah (repeat 500x).

Eric Williams is not doing his thing much with the upfakes.  He takes jump shots now.
 What gives?   He really didn't turn out to be the player we thought he would be.  If he
could score, we would be able to press with that second unit, and the team would be
something special again.

Walter is injured.  He's not missed.

Calbert Cheaney still only takes jumpshots when he has to, and generally misses them.
  He is tentative on offense, which is odd because they are great looking jumpshots and
the guy has undeniable skills.  Another guy whom I would give anything to see a big night
from.  I guess he really is as soft as they say.  A superb defender, though.

How all these guys perform individually or as a team will say much about our state of
mind this coming month.   Get tough, Celtics!  Play smart!  The time is now!
Joshua Ozersky
Marketing Communications
Environmental Products Division
Corning Incorporated.