Why you want a few turnovers

Pete--

Not really, as the Couz himself (who should know) says, in Cousy on the Celtic Mystique.
You don't want a 1 to 1 ratio, but you don't want a six to none ratio night in and night out,
because generally it's indicative of a guy who won't pass unless he's absolutely, positively sure
 that the play is there.  Such a control freak will have a superb assist-to-turnover statistic, but
generally won't make the offense hum, particularly on an uptempo team.  If you pass the ball a
lot, guys begin to get into the groove of passing, and with all that passing there are bound to be
some turnovers.  But that is a good thing, because it shows the right spirit, much as sending a
guard to the stripe as the price of getting the message across that layups are not available without
 pain.  A control freak like
Kenny  is constantly turning back from the play because he sees it might not work out, and
retreating to the dribble drive from the top of the key, which is his own comfort zone.  Rick was
right to trade Chauncey for Kenny -- I will never, ever hold that trade against him -- but Kenny has
 more than a little Billups inside of him, despite his much greater virtuosity with the ball.  That's
why it's so frustrating to see Kenny being so overly meticulous.  He is the guy that should be
getting the passing mood starting and instead he is projecting his anal tendencies on the team
as a whole.
Joshua Ozersky
Marketing Communications
Environmental Products Division