Observations-2/27/00

Observations:
1) Pierce has little side to side mobility/quickness. I wonder if he is still
hurting.

2) Griffen is moving EXTREMELY slow. I assume he is still hurting. He has
also lost confidence in his jumper. People have also figured out to play him
to his left.

3) This team has a lot of nice pieces but they don't fit well together. Just
about everyone is playing out of position. Vitaly would make a great power
forward but he is the closest thing to a real center that we and most teams
can hope for. So what we need is a Dale Davis type power forward who can
strengthen the middle, gobble up rebounds and block a few shots (same
recommendation as last summer). Pierce will be put his natural position of
small forward. Walker, therefore, has to be traded. You have to make up some
of his points so you need to upgrade the 2 spot. Derek Anderson would fit
perfectly. He could also back up the point guard spot and solve that long
term spot. Anderson stays as the steady starting point guard. Griffen is a
capable relief at the 2 and 3. Walter plays a little in the press and when we
need someone to run around and wave his arms. Cheaney, Barros and Williams
sit on the bench, hopefully forever. Fortson and Battie back up Davis and VP.
Our no. 1 pick can go with Walker to upgrade the four.

4) This team never fast breaks, which is unbelieveable. To be a finesse team,
with a small power forward in Walker who can dribble better than any power
forward, and you can't fast break, it is unbelieveable. You have to blame
this on Pitino. I don't think he understands the fast break. It is either
that or this team just doesn't hustle. Either of the two you have to blame on
Pitino because this is a mentality thing, a gameplan thing. In anything, you
have to be good at something to be sucessful. What are we good at? You can't
be a finesse team but then play the slowdown game. So let's get rid of Walker
for a knockem and sockem power forward who will fit the gameplan...

DJessen33