Re: OUCH! (long)

>--- You wrote:
>Walker and Pierce can actually help a team win games! Ricky
>got Fortson because he thought Danny could actually be the bruiser to help
>the frontcourt compete physically. He obviously can't! He's worthless!
>--- end of quote ---
>
> I think you're confusing the ability to score with the ability to win
>games. >Defense and rebounding are just as, if not more, important, and
>you yourself >admitted that Fortson can rebound.

I think you're confusing rebounding and defense in theory with rebounding
and defense in real time. I mentioned earlier that I'm not sure his
rebounds make up for his inability to defend aggressively. When he defends
aggressively he fouls...period. I don't think, at this point, that's up for
debate. If he can't defend aggressively, and he can't block shots, what
else can he do? Sure, he can rebound, but if he also can't work on defense
for fear of getting fouls, score or at least make the other guy work on
defense, handle the ball, pass, or stay on the court for extended minutes
just in case he finds an offensive game, is rebounding enough?

>I also don't understand why you say that Danny can't be a physical
>frontcourt >presence - that's exactly what he is.

Not sitting on the bench in foul trouble he's not. Not if he's a got a big
"You're getting to the line." neon sign flashing over his head.

>Moreover, while he doesn't have the offensive skills of Walker and Pierce,
>he's >more efficient than either of them for what he scores, shooting at a
>much >higher % and getting to the line a lot more for the minutes that he
>plays.

You mention "for the minutes he plays" as if it's no big deal. And let me
tell you what I've always thought was the dirty little secret about
efficiency on this team. Josh, I think, mentioned it during the week and
he's right on the money. Kenny Anderson is, by the numbers, a very
efficient point. However, he's efficient because he's not trying to make
things happen. And if you tell me you don't want him to force it, this team
is how many games under .500? Time for someone like the point guard to
force something. Time for the point guard to take a chance trying to make
something happen. Given the fact that, on most nights, aside from Walker
and Pierce nobody else has an NBA offensive game, that is, everybody else
can be shut down pretty easily, you're going to get turnovers because you
"need" to force things. Let's discuss efficiency on offense. It's laughable
at this point to watch Griffin with the ball. Do you think anybody is
worried about him on defense? Is he getting around anybody going to the
hoop? Pots can shoot a 12 ft. jumper, period. Kenny is a great ballhandler
but not a very good passer and just because he plays the point, I suppose
he shouldn't let that stand in his way. I think the Portland game was a
great example. Yeah, they stunk it up on defense. But how many times did I
see Walker get the ball facing the basket and looking around just dying to
pass it to somebody. He would and Eric Williams, Adrian Griffin, everybody
except Paul Pierce would have a deer in the headlights look in their eyes
when they got it. It would be nice if someone could actually threaten to
create their own shot and make someone believe it. And it's not like
anybody is really quick with a puropose on this team.  So...Antoine gets it
and you know the story. Pierce was shooting like crap but I don't care if
he's shooting 10% for the night...when he gets open he HAS to shoot. And
God bless him, he either went to the basket or put it up. I just wish he'd
do it more. I don't know how many times Griffin and Williams were open that
night and they just wouldn't put it up because, they can't. How many shots
did Griffin get last night? This is against a team with a full arsenal of
offensive players. Adrian! Take some responsibility. Make someone care on
defense. Take a shot...but he can't. You can pass it around all you want on
this team, but unless Kenny and Pots are hitting open jumpers from the
outside, it's a wide open layup for everybody but Walker and Pierce.

>I think you view him through a lense of predisposition, disregarding what
>he >actually does on the court except for the negatives (that is, if
>you've been >watching his play at all). I dislike McCarty as a player, but
>that doesn't >prevent me from recognizing his occasional positive
>contributions, rare as they >may be.

But he can't stay on the court long enough for me to learn to love him. And
you know what, it's not Pitino's fault that the guy's not getting minutes.
Battie's getting minutes, should he? Why stick another guy out there who
doesn't deserve minutes. And if it's between Battie and Fortson, and
unfortunately it has to be, and that's the "you're tempted to use them if
they're sitting there" problem, at least TB won't foul out in eight
minutes. Here's a question. Would this team be in a worse position if
McCarty was suddenly gone? Would they be any worse on the court if Pitino
had made that trade for Alvin Williams? Would their record be any worse? I
recognize what McCarty and Fortson give you. I'm just saying that it's not
enough to make it worth putting them out there. The down side is too great
and this team already has enough players with big downsides.

Paul M.