Battie on Offense (was Re: have you seen fortson play?)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 opi@unesco.org wrote:

> Frankly, even "El Busto" can  make a legitimate claim that his mind-boggling
> inconsistency (at least on offense) can be atttributed to the inability of Dana
> and company to give him the ball when and where he can do something with it.

Tony has a decent turnaround jumper on offense, but other than that his
only other move is to dunk.

I wonder if there would be any way to sit him down with some tapes of
Robert Parish and have him pick up a few things?  I mean, Parish didn't
have the most diversified offense in the world, but what he had was really
polished and he knew how to mix it up like a good pitcher to keep his
defender off-balance.

If Tony would add a good drop-step, jump hook, and that cool spin move
Parish always used to blow by his defenders he would probably score a lot
more points and be more consistent on offense.  I mean sure, every
player can improve, but I don't think what I described is asking a heck of
a lot and it would improve his game by leaps and bounds.

Maybe he's spending too much time in the weight room.  ;)

Dan