Re: Fortson articles

Hi Pete:

I'm sure glad they didn't raise that question and forced Fort into a "yes"
or "no", because this is something that requires time on both sides before
an educated and calmer decision can be made. I wouldn't blame Fortson
right now if he doubted the trapping system suits him, or if from now on
he could count on not getting yanked for the rest of the game after his
third foul.

Pitino really layed it on thick today with conciliatory gestures, saying
that Fortson had been his best player in training camp before the injury,
how Fort's playing his heart out for the team right now and contributing
valuable rebounds, that Fort's increased playing time now has nothing to
do with the trade deadline etc.

But it will take at least the rest of the season to find out if both sides
are a good match. Fort and Pitino should reserve judgment instead of
jumping to conclusions.

Personally I'm more worried about Adrian Griffin. If he can rediscover his
mojo, the Celts are easily better than a .500 team. But if the rest of the
league has caught up with his pretty basic repertoire (drive and dish out
etc.) and he remains a mediocre mid-to-long range jump shooter, then he
may slowly slip down into another Kevin Gamble/Greg Minor type veteran.

If its merely a matter of fatigue and injury (I would think so) rather
than improved scouting reports on him, then we as fans really should root
for "Old School" to get his confidence and energy back. As he goes, so
went the team. Role players like Adrian and Fortson are going to have to
bring their "A" game if we are planning to whup the Flakers.

****