Re: have you seen fortson play?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Berry, Mark  S wrote:

> Fortson gets his rebounds, but he is atrocious defensively (he's not alone
> there with the Celts), often out of position offensively, and he fouls far
> too much because he is too small and too slow to guard the players he is
> required to guard. The remark I made about Sean Marks was made in jest, but
> I do believe Danny Fortson will disappear into NBA oblivion in the
> not-too-distant future.

I would agree that Fortson has a long way to go defensively.  As far as
being out of position offensively and his fouling woes, the wack-o
"system" implemented by his coach is a large part of that.  Danny is not a
good match for a complex system.  I think he has more value than you would
suggest, though.

NBA oblivion is a bit vague -- do you think he'll no longer be in the NBA
at all, or turn into a bench sitting journeyman who bounces around from
team to team for the next ten years?

> He's had some decent stats in a pair of blowouts, when the officials no
> doubt were swallowing their whistles to get the thing over with.

Golden State: yes.  Portland: no.  Against Portland Danny really helped
out off the bench after the starters dug that cute 11-0 hole for the C's.
He was very productive in non-garbage time.

> irrelevant. We won't offer more. He'll either be traded now, be traded in a
> sign-and-trade after the season, or walk and accept someone's $2 million
> exception. That's it.

A lot of things can happen during the off-season.  We'll see.

Dan