<Celtics-Digest-Owner@igtc.com>
To: <Celtics-Digest@igtc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 10:02 AM
Subject: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V7 #90

> The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest
>  Tuesday, February 22 2000 Volume 07 : Number 090
>

> In this issue:
>
> REPEAT SHOWING
> Bird not buying Celtics
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Re:REPEAT SHOWING
> TSN reports
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Hey Michael Gooen...
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Following Portland game via internet :1st qtr
> PortLand game : 2nd qtr
> Re: TSN reports
> Fortson
> Re: TSN reports
> Keep Fortson
> RE: Keep Fortson
> Re: Bowen waived
> Celtics Notebook/Steve Bulpett
> One player
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Re: One player
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Y2k draft
> Re: One player
> Re: Y2k draft
> Seattle Box Score
> Portland Box Score
> Help me!
> Re: Bird not buying Celtics
> Re: Bowen waived
> Fw: Bird not buying Celtics
> Re: Help me!

> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:20:53 -0500
> From: "Juddy" <norine@sover.net>
> Subject: REPEAT SHOWING
>
> Do any of you fellow small dish owners know when Fox Sports NE reruns the
Celtics games?  Or more specifically, when they'll rerun tonight's game?  I
don't think I can stay up late enough to watch it.
> Dorine
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:26:01 -0500
> From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
> Subject: Bird not buying Celtics
>
> Well, as I guessed, Bird knew that he didn't have a chance to own the
> Celtics. Could it be that he defended Pitino because he actually believes
> that Pitino doesn't deserve the blame he's getting? Maybe he appreciates
> what a difficult job it has been.
>
> - --
> From ESPN:
>
> INDIANAPOLIS -- Larry Bird, one of the greatest players in Boston Celtics
> history, said Monday he would prefer owning the Indiana Pacers.
>
> And the Indiana coach, who has announced plans to leave the bench at the
> end of the season, said he doesn't anticipate becoming an owner of either
> team.
>
> "The Pacers are not for sale, the Celtics are not for sale. I know that,
> I knew that eight years ago that they weren't for sale. Bird said Monday.
> "You can't buy something that's not for sale."
>
> The Boston Globe reported Sunday that Bird indicated interest in buying
> the Celtics.
>
> "I could get people together to buy the team in a day," Bird told the
> newspaper. "I could get it done tomorrow."
>
> Celtics owner Paul Gaston has said publicly that the team is not for sale.
>
> Bird has been offered an executive position in the Pacers' front office,
> but said Monday he was uncertain what he would do when the season ends.
>
> "I'll tell you again, I'm not going back there," Bird said of Boston.
> "As far as being here, I really don't know yet."
>
> Bird said he had talked about the future with Pacers president Donnie
Walsh
> a number of times.
>
> "It's just according to how I feel. I've always said to build a team is
> very intriguing. Do I want to spend five years doing that? I've got a
> family. It really comes down to where my kids want to live," said Bird,
> who has three children. "My wife has followed me around for 23 years. ...
> She loves it here."
>
> Bird worked as a Celtics consultant for five years after retiring as a
player.

> He has coached the Pacers into the Eastern Conference finals both years as
> coach. In his debut as a coach at any level the Pacers set a franchise
> record of 58-24 and lost in the conference finals to Michael Jordan and
the
> Chicago Bulls in seven games.
>
> Indiana won the Central Division championship in last year's
lockout-shortened
> season, finishing 33-17, and lost the conference final to the New York
Knicks
> in six games.
>
> The Pacers have the best record in the Eastern Conference this season.
>
> Asked if he had talked with Indiana owners Herb and Mel Simon about
becoming
> an owner of the team, Bird responded, "You can forget about it."
>
> Bird was also asked if he was interested in becoming an owner of the
Dallas
> [...]
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:23:08 PST
> From: "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Bird not buying Celtics
>
> >From: Dan Forant <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>
>
> >Oh well, it was worth the rush. I must admit I'm disappointed.
>
> Dan, you were right on with your earlier post.  Bird's comments were all
> about generating public opinion for a sale that the owner wouldn't
otherwise
> do.  I didn't read that article that was posted about it, but I saw Bird
> interviewed on TV.  He was saying things like, "The Celtics aren't for
sale,
> and the Pacers aren't for sale, so I'm going to Florida".  I think he'd
like
> to own either club.  We lost him once, it would be a shame to lose him
> again.
>
> Celtics are Down 17 - 6. Uuugh.  I'm going to bed.
>
> Jim
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:40:36 +0800
> From: Kevin <kevin.lok@lycosmail.com>
> Subject: Following Portland game via internet :1st qtr
>
> Starters out of syn, trails 11-0, pippen driving
> and dunking on us!
>
> After C's time out, it still stinks!
>
> Benchers came in, stopped the bleeding.
>
> Fort, rebound, rebound, rebound - great.
>
> EW - driving and dunking! (I thought his knees are
> shot!)
>
> 1st qtr ended : 26-23, great.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:29:51 +0800
> From: Kevin <kevin.lok@lycosmail.com>
> Subject: PortLand game : 2nd qtr
>
> Tell me if I'm wrong.
>
> 7min 30sec - 30-31 - we were hanging tough with
> the benchers, out comes the starters. Blazers
> speed up to 37-30!
>
> without Fort, AW the rebounding man (where's V?)
> but he misses shots (can't tell whether it's layup
> or put back or one on one situations)
>
> (Fort got 4 caroms no fouls yet! it's a miracle!)
>
> EW came back in (I think he's hot tonight) in
> place of AG, good - Cs begins to have more
> "inside" results. (that's the old celts type of
> game I like)
>
> With Fort in, you can tell the difference:
> Bos - Fortson offensive rebound
> Bos - Fortson miss
> Bos - (blazer) shooting foul
> Bos - Fortson free throw 1 of 2
>
> it goes on too in the defensive end.
>
> Fort got 2 fouls with 1 min left, and Halleluja, V
> came in for Fort!!! (see that? Pitino saving Fort
> for the 2nd half - I hope so)
>
> Then Blazers beginning to pull away, qtr end
> 49-43.
>
> Cs got to play inside (dump the jump shooting
> game) to have any chance to win this game (or any
> other game IMO)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:40:54 -0800
> From: "John Lyell" <johnlyell@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: TSN reports
>
> This is bullshit. Strong sucks we aren't taking on his contract.. If they
> want Fortson it will cost them Wallace, Outlaw, Doleac or Garrity.

He
> is not talented, he is a waste of space who isn't even CBA quality. I'll
send
> you a tape of him playing in Australia and then you'll realise how much of
> joke this BWS is.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:00:41 +0800
> From: Kevin <kevin.lok@lycosmail.com>
> Subject: Keep Fortson
>
> After 3 qtrs, Fortson's line:
>
> 18min, 2-6FG, 6-8FT, 7-12Reb!!! 10pts (this is a
> plus)
>
> Listening to weei commentary, Fort is keeping the
> Cs alive with all those missed shots (especially
> Walker's)
>
> we got to keep Fort.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:52:35 -0800
> From: Gregory Odegaard <grodeg@kalama.com>
> Subject: RE: Keep Fortson
>
> Maybe I should just let Kevin do the report.  He seems to be following the
game closer than me and I am only 10 rows off the court.  Report to come in
the morning.

> A very entertaining game BTW, IMO.  Went with my son, his pal and a new
Celtic friend of mine.  Walker was very impressive to watch at times, at
Fortson does nothing but impress me.  IF he had just tad bit more offensive
skills he would be a major keeper, but as it is he hasn't given up one bit
on this effort.  Either he wants the trade, is trying to save face, is
looking ahead to a decent FA deal, or is a true Celtic at heart, ala Big
Red.  Probably some of all of the above.

> See you in the morning. (The Blazers will hang #2 this year, most
critically keeping the Fakers from hanging #12)

> Greg
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:50:05 +0100
> From: opi@unesco.org
> Subject: Re: Bowen waived
>
> Peter Delevett wrote:
>
> > Considering how much our fearless leader used to rave about him, and our
> > dismal backcourt defense, how 'bout signing Bruce to a 10-day contract?
>
> Why not just wait a few weeks and then grab Alvin Williams off waivers.
:-)

> Changing subjects, the Celts starting backcourt failed to step up last
night
> (5-21 shooting and 9 turnovers). This may be a classic midseason burnout
> phase, but we can't afford it. It looks like the Celts will reach 10 games
> under .500 before they start making some kind of run. Given the
competition,
> the Celts are still in the Eastern playoff picture if they can finish
around
> .500. So they need to treat every ball possession during this slump as
> relevant to their playoff chances.
>
> On a positive note, the 18-7 advantage in offensive rebounds is the type
of
> stat that is bound to help us down the road, once we can play consistently
> in other phases of the game. Fortson had 8 offensive boards as well as 14
> boards overall (twice as many as any other Celtic). Pitino is doing a
> wonderful job of showcasing him before the trade <g>.
>
> Portland has an amazing roster. Detlef Shrempf (14 minutes) and Brian
Grant
> [...]
> the Boston Celtics. Gates must have a little bit more free time since
> stepping down as Microsoft chairman.
>
> ****
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:54:47 +0100
> From: opi@unesco.org
> Subject: Celtics Notebook/Steve Bulpett
>
> Celtics Notebook/Steve Bulpett
>
> The Celtics seem to be taking Larry Bird's talk of owning the club as
> little more than a slap. Certainly it seems unlikely that Paul Gaston
> would go out of his way to make a deal with a potential Bird group after
> Larry's comments in his book and this week. In fact, one could  envision
> Gaston doing anything but.
>
> Celtics chief financial and operating officer Richard Pond wasn't
> getting into Bird's motives, but he did say, ``If he's serious about
> buying the team, that wouldn't be the direct approach. If he feels he
> could put together a group to buy the team, you would assume he would
> not be public about it. That would only foster competition. In a
> business environment, that's not the approach you take.''
>
> As for Gaston's plans, Pond reiterated what the owner has said on many
> occasions, that the Celtics are not for sale. He did say Gaston, as a
> businessman, would have to listen to any serious offer.
>
> ``But the only way I could see something happening is if it was an
> unbelievable offer,'' Pond said. ``If somebody came to Paul and  offered
> him half a billion dollars, he'd probably sell the team. And I'm being
> serious about that figure. It would take something like that.''
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:37:53 -0600
> From: "Gene Kirkpatrick" <gkir@tjc.tyler.cc.tx.us>
> Subject: One player
>
> I've looked at the box scores and probed deeply into my amazing player
> evaluation scanbank and concluded that we could be a .500 team (this
> year) with the addition of one player:  Bob Sura.
>
> Yes.  A backup point/two guard who can play defense and the open
> court, is a competent scorer, and fits our needs as well as any
> relatively available player could.  I say we trade cap fodder plus our
> 2001 top pick for him.  Keep Fortson.  Jettison McCarty, Barros and
> Overton.  Go with Battie, Fortson and Williams plus Sura as needed.
> We keep our 2000 pick and have Denver's in 2001.
>
> Cleveland's not going anywhere and they have Miller at point.  Sura's
> not a starter anymore, I don't think.  Do it today!
>
> Gene
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:40:51 -0500
> From: Dan Forant <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: Bird not buying Celtics
>
> I still wouldn't rule it out entirely, could just be posturing on Gaston's
> part. It's up to the people and media in Boston to get the message to
> Gaston. Maybe empty seats would change his way of thinking.
>
> Boston is not the market it used to be during and prior to the Bird era.
> NY, LA, Seattle and throw in a few others have grown past Boston
Mass.,just
> witness the tv exposure. What happens in Boston these days, the Boston
> Marathon? Their baseball and hockey teams can't produce a winner, just
> teases. It's been a long time and people forget. It's not about tradition
> anymore. Celt fans talk about it because it's all we have. It's about
> winning and money. America loves winners and has no sympathy for losers.
In
> [...]
>
> CELTICS                                 REBOUNDS
> PLAYER    POS MIN FGM-A  3PM-A  FTM-A  OFF DEF TOT AST PF ST TO BS PTS
> A. Walker  F  33  11-24  1-5    1-2    1   6   7   2   4  2  4  0  24
> Griffin    F  25  3-6    0-0    2-2    3   3   6   2   3  0  2  1  8
> Potapenko  C  20  3-10   0-0    0-0    1   2   3   0   4  0  0  1  6
> Pierce     G  41  4-14   2-6    4-4    0   5   5   4   5  3  5  1  14
> K.         G  36  1-7    1-2    6-6    0   1   1   7   3  2  4  2  9
> Anderson
> E.            30  5-8    0-0    4-5    3   0   3   1   2  1  3  0  14
> Williams
> Fortson       25  3-8    0-0    6-8    8   6   14  0   5  2  3  0  12
> Battie        17  1-5    0-0    0-0    0   2   2   0   2  2  1  0  2
> Barros        13  1-4    0-1    1-1    2   1   3   2   0  0  1  0  3
> McCarty       DNP - Coach's Decision
> Ellison       DNP - Coach's Decision
> Cheaney       DNP
> TOTAL         240 32-86  4-14   24-28  18  26  44  18  28 12 23 5  92
>                   (37.2) (28.6) (85.7) Team Rebs: 9 Total TO: 23 (24
>                                                                   Pts)
>
> BLAZERS                                  REBOUNDS
> PLAYER     POS MIN FGM-A  3PM-A  FTM-A  OFF DEF TOT AST PF ST TO BS PTS
> R. Wallace  F  37  7-10   0-0    2-4    1   6   7   2   2  3  1  2  16
> Pippen      F  34  4-8    0-2    4-6    1   2   3   8   1  4  3  0  12
> Sabonis     C  25  7-8    0-0    5-5    0   8   8   2   4  1  1  0  19
> St. Smith   G  28  5-10   1-2    4-5    1   2   3   1   2  0  2  0  15
> Stoudamire  G  27  4-10   0-2    2-2    0   2   2   5   2  2  3  0  10
> Anthony        22  2-8    1-2    0-0    1   3   4   2   2  0  3  0  5
> Wells          20  3-6    0-0    2-2    0   1   1   2   3  0  0  0  8
> J. O'Neal      19  4-7    0-0    6-8    2   4   6   0   2  1  0  3  14
> Schrempf       14  0-3    0-0    3-4    1   2   3   2   2  1  3  0  3
> B. Grant       12  0-2    0-1    3-4    0   1   1   0   5  1  1  1  3
> Kleine         2   0-1    0-0    0-0    0   1   1   0   0  0  2  0  0
> Augmon         DNP - Coach's Decision
> TOTAL          240 36-73  2-9    31-40  7   32  39  24  25 13 19 6  105
>                    (49.3) (22.2) (77.5) Team Rebs: 12 Total TO: 19 (16
>                                                                     Pts)
>
> SCORE BY PERIOD      1       2       3       4       Total
> Boston               23      20      24      25      92
> Portland             26      23      29      27      105
>
> Technicals             Portland: Schrempf
> Disqualifications:
> Officials              Joe Forte, David Jones, Hank Armstrong
> Location               Rose Garden
> Attendance             20,453
> Time                   2:22
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:18:30 -0500
> From: "Berry, Mark  S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
> Subject: Help me!
>
> I'm sick. This trade deadline has me obsessed. I latch onto each rumor and
> pore through stats to see if there's anything about (The Next Stiff Who
Soon
> Will Occupy Time On Our Bench With The Other Stiffs) that should excite
me.
> Tractor Traylor? Like it. Robert Horry? No! Danny Manning? Not without a
> pick. Kurt Thomas, Chris Childs and all the other Knicks garbage? Nooooo!
>
> It's exhausting. Is there a rehab center for this?
>
> Mark
>
> P.S. I do like the Tractor Traylor suggestion. Living in Ohio and a big
OSU

majordomo@igtc.com