re:West Coast Swing

>From: opi@unesco.org

>Frankly, no mature adult reacts in a productive way to being singled out
>for criticism in so loud and so public a way that you can hear it on
>broadcast television.

Or even cable.

>In the past, I've had some teammates (thankfully no coaches) who by habit
>shout distracting, frankly useless commands at teammates as you play. The
>worst is when they shout the obvious to you just as you are in the process
>of doing it, as if you don't know what
>the hell you are doing. This is what Pitino does.

I was playing a pickup game long ago when I had knees, and a teammate said
as I went up for an uncontested layup, "you better not miss THIS".  Well,
you can guess what happened.  I totally agree that's what Pitino does, and
yes I think it is couter-productive.  I even caught myself doing it at one
of the games I attended this year.  There was a missed shot going straight
to Potapenko and I literally leapt out of my seat and shouted "REBOUND VEE".
  He got the board, no thanks to me, and the Celtics probably lost the game.
  So far I've been to the losses against Detroit and Vancouver and the near
blown 30 point lead to Houston.  Can anyone match that for a poor record of
games attended this year?

>In some sense, if you played an entire game wearing sound-proof earplugs,
>you're other four important senses would be that much >keener and better
>focused on the game.

I don't know, I think I could do without smell too!

Jim