Brevin Knight

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:37:23 -0500 (EST)
> From: David A Wickerham <aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu>
> Subject: Re: Re Trade talk
>
> Brevin is a gamer, but he is also another midget point guard.  No way we
> can use him unless Dana is going.  The reason he is being shopped is that
> Miler has developed into a starter and Knight doesn't want to be a bench
> player.  Since he can't beat out KA, he'd just be miserable here.
>
> ****dave

I LUVed Brevin when he was with Stanford and have followed him, although not
that closely, in the NBA. I even thought that a clever move on draft day '97
would have been to send one of our top picks and a player (Barros) to
Cleveland for their two middle range picks (I had my eye on both Derek
Anderson and Brevin Knight and curiously enough that is exactly who
Cleveland drafted). I think he'd be a great back-up/successor to Anderson
(they'd both save on wear-and-tear), but Dave is right, Barros would have to
go. I'd do it in a heart beat, but I would hope that Pitino would find a
little time for Kenny at SG to get Brevin at least 20 min per game; Brevin's
speed and steals would be great on the "vaunted press" too.

I can see Cleveland doing the trade (Brevin and stiff for Barros) simply as
a cost saving measure (20 mil for 4 yrs versus 4.4 for one year),
particularly since they so love our former #8 pick, but after last week
they're probably wondering what else they could wrangle from us (Fortson).
Interestingly, if it got done then the teams would have each swapped
back-ups for starters: at point (Brevin - starter for Cavs - for Miller and
Barros - back-ups on the Cs) and center (DeClercq - starter on Cs- for
Potapenko - back-up on Cavs, at least while Ilgauskas was healthy).

-TomM