trade speculation

> Mark Berry has mentioned Olowokandi. How about Olowokandi and Derek
> Anderson for Pierce and Eric Williams, say? Not good enough? What if
> they throw in a future first round pick? Tempting. What about the
> 2000 pick? That would be very hard to refuse although I doubt they
> offer it.

If I was going to part with a young stud like Twon or Pierce for a center,
I'd rather get an established one. I wouldn't bite for Olowokandi. But that
doesn't mean we're necessarily out of the sweepstakes.

How about a three way involving Atlanta, Clips and us:

Atlanta sends Mutombo ($13.6 mil) to Boston,

Clips send SF/SG Derek Anderson and PF Maurice Taylor (both in last year of
cheap rookie contracts) to Atlanta

Boston sends Twon ($9 mil) to LA
AND
Boston sends Pervis ($2.4 mil) and either Fortson (1.6 mil) or Overton
(400K)
OR
Battie (2.2 mil) and either Fortson (1.6 mil) or Overton (400K) to Atlanta
OR
Potapenko (4.4 mil)

Obviously, the last wrinkle is dependent upon negotiations with Atlanta - do
they want to clear as much cap as possible (Pervis combo)? Or do they want
another option at center (Potapenko or Battie combo) other than Lorenzen
Wright (who's in the 1st year of a 7 yr/$42 mil contract)?

Bskball posted a rumor in which Atlanta was working with Lakers to ship out
PF Henderson and possibly Rider (but perhaps JJ) for Rice (FA this year), so
this Mutombo deal would give them a virtually new team (Taylor PF, Rice SF,
Anderson SG, Fortson? Potapenko? Battie?) and clear a boat-load of cap
room - at least until they started re-signing players.

Clips would get something back in return (signed for another 5 years) for
two FAs who were going to fly the coop for nothing. Two questions: Would
Twon alone be enough? Does Twon make too much (for Sterling to bite)?
Olowokandi, Twon, and Odom make an interesting front-court - do they need
some additional help in the back-court (JJ?) to get this done?

Boston would get a top-flight center and at least one (hopefully two) of the
three remaining players to play PF and back-up Mutombo: Potapenko, Battie
and Fortson. (FWIW my preference would be to ship Battie but again Atlanta
would have a say here).

Thoughts? Fire away! - TomM