Re: C's Start Off Right - Celtics 101, Jazz 99

Thanks Dan for the predicatably excellent game summary. I'm looking forward to
watching this game on video. I'm also looking forward to more game reports
from you and others like Greg during Bill Cooper's well-deserved hiatus.

IMO the most important thing for our second half chances will be the return to
form of Hondo Griffin, and he seems to be heading back in the right direction
with his 8 boards, 2 steals etc.

As I noted earlier, Griffin was shooting only .242 since his return from
injury with 2.1 assists and 3.7 rebounds in 30 minutes per game. If he had
started the season injured like this, he probably would have been cut faster
than you can say "Wayne Turner". It is to his credit that Griffin is still
shooting over .460 from the field (compare that to Pierce/Walker) despite a
brutal 8 game slump and a rough new year in general. He shot 3-7 last night,
and hasn't had double-figure points since the 3rd of January.

Last season, Pierce's scoring average collapsed from 20ppg to 13ppg in the
span of 20 games or so after his injury (thanks also to the return of Ron
Mercer). Nevertheless, Pierce was able to turn it around dramatically and
arguably had a better final month and a half than even Vince Carter. If he can
get healthy, I have no doubt Griffin can do the same.

One monster game from Fortson is all we need to improve his chances of staying
(or being traded for good value). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll be
around for the Fakers rematch. He dominated last year against them both
scoring and rebounding, as I noted in a previous column.

We have a few days off to enjoy this win. What a difference a day makes. Good
job by our boys.

****