Re: possible Atlanta trades

In a message dated 02/14/2000 2:42:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
GENIE@prodigy.net writes:

> And if you think we are getting anywhere near Jason Terry for
>  Fortson, you're crazy, althoguh we can do better than Williams, Terry was
>  the 10th pick in the draft, we're not getting him for an undersized
>  malcontent.

     Sorry, but it seems unfair to call Fortson an "undersized malcontent."
First, Fortson came in as the answer to our problem at the big forward slot,
not at center.  And he's plenty big enough to fit one of the two stereotypes
of the 4.  And is he a malcontent?  He comes to Boston, touted by many as a
key to the team's prospects. After an injury, he comes back and plays a few
minutes and then finds himself odd man out because the coach can't figure out
how to have him on the same team with another would-be 4 who has been under
the coach's direction for some six years or so!  It seems to me that Fortson
delivered pretty much exactly what was expected of him.  So he gets fewer and
fewer minutes and then gets traded.
     When he is traded, he says that the ship is sinking.  Read this board.
Is anyone claiming that it ISN'T sinking?  Sheesh, most of us figured
playoffs/.500 this year.  No way.  If it makes a player a "malcontent" to get
fewer minutes than hoped on a team in confusion, which trades him then
doesn't, fine, he's a malcontent.  Seems to me that I read lots of posts
about how hard-working and tam-oriented he was during his stay in Boston.  If
you want malcontents, read this board.  75% of us are malcontents right about
now.
     So ol' Fort may not fit into the team's plans, but I really don't think
he is either undersized or a malcontent.  Just my $0.02.
- Doug