Re: to put it all in perspective. . .

Just a few points:

1) Yes, Denver did include a pick along with Fortson in order to get
Mercer, but they ALSO got to dump Eric Williams - a hefty negative for us
that far outweighs the value of the included pick in the short term.
Williams's contract makes Popeye's look modest in comparison.

2) Our pick is also "protected" to a degree depending on when we exercise
it in the future. The fact that it is a future pick (possibly long into the
future if we want to remove the protection) makes it that much less
valuable NOW (we are trying to succeed now, aren't we?).

3) If we're comparing trades I don't think it is as equivocal as you seem
to assume - it's a hands down slam dunk for Denver:

Abdul-Wahad (a starter),
Gatling (whom I dislike as a player, but has value)
Popeye (for one more year)
and a protected pick for this year from the Magic (I think it is actually
Denver's being returned, but whatever)

versus

E. Williams (a big negative as you astutely point out),
A. Williams (who may be a nice player but is still at best a back-up),
a protected pick not available until some time in the future,
Sean Marks (good luck getting PT)
and an exhibition game (wasn't there a time when we offered those to get a
player? Roberts?)

4) The point about dumping Eric Williams was my lame attempt at ironic
tongue-in-cheek humor ;-P
EW's negative value is the whole reason we got stuck with him in the first
place - because Fortson was sooo good that took EW on to balance the deal.

TomM
> From: Alex Wang <awang@MIT.EDU>
> To: Thomas Murphy <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>; celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Re: to put it all in perspective. . .
> Date: Friday, February 11, 2000 2:24 PM
>

> > I forgot to mention that Denver also got a 1st round pick back from
Orlando