RE: Michael Holley finally says it.

>Their contracts are not the issue here, although they're a hindrance.
>Pitino's ability to coach at the NBA level, his player evaluation skills,
>and his performance as a de-facto GM are. Who could've done a better job?
>Larry Brown, probably Bird, apparently Doc Rivers, and likely a whole slew
>of other professional NBA coaches.

The contracts are a big part of the issue. When a team is stuck with
multiple, as you call them, "deadbeat guys", you can't bring in guys
talented enough to help you win. Not only do you have guys that can't play,
but you have no money to sign other players who can. Pitino has done as good
as can be expected considering the circumstances. Maybe he has made some bad
signings, but he is smart enough to realize it and unload the guy. You can't
be serious that you would rather have Doc Rivers over Pitino. You must have
just needed another argument to add to your post. Larry Brown has done
nothing in Philly with much more talent than Pitino including the games
leading scorer.

>It's nice that Pitino got rid of Dee's contract, but let's not forget he
took on a   >much bigger contract in return - Kenny's $50 mil.

Maybe he took on a bigger contract, but he got someone usefull to the team.
If you have to have a contract for a guy, it might as well be a guy you can
play. Dee was a  useless complainer who did nothing but ruin chemistry.

>The truth is, probably every NBA team has some "deadbeats" - people who are
>not performing up to their contract for whatever reason.

Every team might have a guy or two who doesn't perform, but I don't think
anyone was stuck with as many of these guys as the celtics. Thanks M.L. I
would like to be stuck with Portlands "deadbeats". Their 11th guy is Stacey
Augman.

Shawn