No Subject

The way the ridiculously fire-sale trade of Fortson went lead me to
believe that Gaston wants to either:
1)win a NBA championship doing it within the salary cap given
or
2)take the Celtics as closer to the cap given, sell off the franchise is
in the (or close to) black   or
3)will not spend more than the given cap, championship or no
championship

I hope for (1) - I'm still trying to stay positive.

Below is confirmed salaries to Cs players thru the full duration of
players' contracts. Source is from celtics ng and Patricia Bender's
website

(I welcome anybody to chip in with your inputs, especially Alex Wang)
Some notes:
(1)It assumes excersing all player or team options available, like AG's
2nd year
(2)Pierce's 5th year ('03) is not listed as it depends on extending it
before Pierce can be a restricted agent in '03. The Celts can match
other team's offers, which will be the market price.
(3)This is assuming all these players are not traded and can complete
the length of their contracts.
(4)I have labeled players 1 to 14/15, assuming our core will be 1-10
with 11-14 stocked with CBAers
(5)'01 onwards the NBA cap is estimated. I gave annual 10% increase.

I have it under excel xls, if you need I can email you privately upon
request. I am using Netscape messenger, it is aligned correctly when I
type this. I don't know how it goes when I email to the list, I hope it
is not messed up:

C/N	Player		Pos	sal	00	01	02	03	04	05	06
1	AWalker		PF	71	9.5	10.4	11.4	12.3	13.2	14.2
2	PPierce		SG	6.563	1.6	1.7	1.9
3	KAnderson	PG	50	7.1	7.7	8.2	8.8
4	AGriffin	SF	0.8835	0.4	0.5
5	VPot		C	33	4.4	4.8	5.3	5.7	6.2	6.6
6	TBattie		PF/C	6.72+25	2.2	3.3	3.7	4	4.3	4.7	5
7	AWilliams	PG	6	1.9	2
8	CCheaney	SG	6.6	2	2.2	2.4
9	EWilliams	SF	26	4.2	4.5	4.8	5.2
10	DBarros		SG	22	4.1	4.4
11	WMcCarty/CBAer	SF	8	2.4	2.6	2.9
12	SMarks/CBAer	PF/C	0.6	0.385
13	DOverton/CBAer	PG	0.4	0.4
14	GMinor/CBAer	SG	13	2.8	3
15	PEllison/CBAer	C	12	2.4
	Total				45.785	47.1	40.6	36	23.7	25.5	5
	NBA Salary Cap			34	37	41	45	50	55	60
	Cap space			12	10	-1	-9	-26	-29	-55

Remarks:
'00 - Celtics spent >46mil (Dino + marty colon + wayne turner + eric
washington were not included), NBA cap=34mil, cap space - we're over by
>12mil . (no wonder Gaston is screaming!)

'01 - Year 4 of Pitino regime (2nd round playoffs target)
only 12 players are on contracts but look at the payroll 47mil!!!
Already over the cap without adding the inevitable extra 2 bodies for
the injured list (add 1 mil of 2 CBA quality bodies applicants if you
like)

'02 - Year 5 of Pitino regime (conference finals or nba finals target)
Eight contracts = 41mil, add 2 bodies via the 1 and 2 mill exceptions,
and the mandatory 4 CBAers (0.5mil per) we will be 46 mil. just 5 mill
over the estimated cap of 41mil. This is year that we are supposed to
contend for the championship (don't laugh now) as indicated by Pitino.
So if Pitino could pull this off, then all the aggravation suffered
during Pitino's tenure will be forgiven.

I am working on the next data where I will try to make some trades to
facilitate Gaston's wishes for lower payroll yet bringing in quality
bodies (that's suicidal)

Hope this will be useful for everybody. Pls feel free to add your
comments/interpretations.

good night
kevin