regards
kevin (i'm still pissed off, and my wife's down with gastric)

http://www.canoe.ca/BasketballToronto/feb10_wor.html
Thursday, February 10, 2000
Workman gets a new job
Raptors land point guard and Fortson, ship Williams and Marks to Celtics

By BILL HARRIS -- Toronto Sun
  AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- By the time the Raptors' interest in acquiring
Haywoode Workman was consummated, the endeavour had expanded into a
trade that saw them also land Danny Fortson from Boston yesterday.
 Headed to the Celtics are point guard Alvin Williams and forward Sean
Marks.
 The Raptors made a claim for Workman -- a veteran point guard who was
waived Monday by the Milwaukee Bucks -- but the Celtics threatened to
scuttle those plans by claiming Workman for themselves. Boston has a
worse NBA record than Toronto, so the Celtics' claim would have
superseded the one made by the Raptors.
 Trade talk ensued and the result was the three-player deal, with the
Celtics agreeing to back off of Workman.
 "The best thing about it is that financially, we clear up $2 million
(US) in salary-cap room for next summer," said Raptors coach Butch
Carter, who was more enthusiastic about getting Workman, suggesting
Fortson could be moved before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.
 However, the Raptors may choose to keep Fortson because it would give
them flexibility under the salary cap if he is not re-signed as a free
agent after the season.
 Raptors general manager Glen Grunwald said Williams and Marks will be
missed.
 "But Haywoode's experience will be invaluable to us as we work toward
the playoffs, and Danny adds another tough body up front that is crucial
to any team's success in the East," Grunwald said.
 Fortson, 23, is in the final year of a three-year, $4.3-million US
contract. The 6-foot-8, 260-pound forward was picked 10th overall by
Milwaukee in the 1997 draft. His rights were traded to Denver and he
spent his first two seasons with the Nuggets.
 In the summer of 1999, he was sent to Boston. Fortson has missed 25
games this season with a stress fracture in his right foot. In 23 games,
he has averaged 5.9 points and 5.0 rebounds. Last season with Denver,
Fortson averaged 11.0 points and 11.6 rebounds.
 Workman, who was in uniform for the Raptors last night against the
Detroit Pistons, is earning $1 million US this season and will be a free
agent in the summer.
 "There'll be a lot of pressure on me to perform, but it's just another
test," said the 34-year-old Workman, who has had three operations on his
left knee, most recently in 1997.
 Williams, 25, didn't live up to his promise in Toronto after being
acquired from Portland in February 1998. Williams, who is in the second
year of a three-year, $6-million contract, showed flashes of brilliance,
but consistency eluded him.
 Marks, a 24-year-old native of New Zealand, had his draft rights traded
to Toronto from the Knicks in June 1998. Marks did everything the
Raptors asked of him, but he simply had too many solid veterans in line
ahead of him.
 "I'm excited if this means an opportunity to play," Marks said. "I
wasn't doing a heck of a lot with Toronto, but it was great fun to be
there."
 Marks is earning $585,000 US this season and will be a free agent in
the summer.