Re: Satch Sanders

-----

Thomas Murphy wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 21:17:50 +0800
> From: kevin lok <kevin.lok@lycosmail.com>
> Subject: Satch Sanders
>
> http://www.bostonherald.com/bostonherald/colm/fitz02092000.htm
>
> Great article - thanks Kevin!
>
> I can still remember Satch as coach of a declining Celtic team. I remember
> he had such a low voice that the refs had trouble hearing him. I also
> remember that several real estate companies in my home town (Milton, MA)
> were prosecuted for racist practices at roughly the same time. It's great
> that the government can be used as a tool to combat such practices, but
> sadly enough white folk also seem to think that since the govt is involved
> our own responsibility ends once we've pay our taxes.
>
> -TomM

Wow, my retarded teen years revolved around Milton Academy (home of T.S.
Elliot and Robert Kennedy) and the direct "Red Line" metro subway train that
is advertised to lead directly through the gates of Harvard yard.

So I can actually boast to know Milton, the Blue Hills and Jamaica Plain more
or less  inside and out. I distinctly remember getting my MIT interview from
some brilliant-seeming Milton resident whose name I don't recall. He couldn't
have tried to "dis" my science and math credentials more, yet I still spent a
lot of my freshman college year hanging with you MIT geeks in that 24-hour
library.

We weren't allowed to watch TV as boarders at Milton Academy so my Celtics
memories centered on the radio voice of Johnnie Most. I guess the 1980-1981
series against the Sixers (for the second straight year down 3 games to 1)
stands out as the greatest and sweetest sports memory of my life.

Joe

p.s. I sense Greg Ode and others may see some benefit in swapping Alvin
Williams for Danny Fortson. I'm tempted to imagine the upside based on Al's
size (6-5) and assist-to-turnover ratio (nearly 3:1 this year). Toronto is
definitely trading for talent over need, to say the least.  I guess the
assumption is that Oakley and Willis will be done in a year.

p.p.s. Warwick, what time is it in Australia? You should occasionally get some
sleep for goodness sakes!

***